Apollo 12 Checklists

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Is there any way to get the checklist flies for Apollo 12? The stock scenarios use generic checklists, but I was looking for something a little more accurate.
If not, how easy is it to fly a lunar mission using generic checklists?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
With no MCC support or checklists, its definitely harder, but doable. Its definitely the sort of thing where you will need a reasonable familiarity with the mission timeline, as well as a copy of the flightplan. Mission audio transcripts are very useful too.

Our RTCC is a very powerful tool. There is an excellent pdf manual for it in the doc/ProjectApollo/programmer notes folder. Even still, you may find you need a bit of a walkthrough, so don't hesitate to hit us up on IRC or discord.

Save often, and don't get discouraged if you end up repeating some procedures if it's your first time.

Good luck.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there any way to get the checklist flies for Apollo 12? The stock scenarios use generic checklists, but I was looking for something a little more accurate.
If not, how easy is it to fly a lunar mission using generic checklists?
Best way is to use the actual mission flight plan and procedure checklists. You can find a good chunk here https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap12fj/a12-documents.html

As n7275 stated, you will have to use the RTCC MFD to compute your burns and we can gladly help on IRC or discord :)

Miriam

Reaction score
The only problem is that we don't have any CMC software for 12. However, that shouldn't be a big problem. From what I could find, the biggest difference between Colossus 2A and 2C seems to be the newly added Verb 79, which is nothing but a more comfortable way of doing the barbecue roll and maintaining orbital rate with the DAP. Mike Collins had to change the respective EMEMs by hand, Dick Gordon had the handy Verb 79 which only required to input desired rate, deadband and axis and hit PRO. You'll have to do it the Collins way, I'm afraid.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only problem is that we don't have any CMC software for 12. However, that shouldn't be a big problem. From what I could find, the biggest difference between Colossus 2A and 2C seems to be the newly added Verb 79, which is nothing but a more comfortable way of doing the barbecue roll and maintaining orbital rate with the DAP. Mike Collins had to change the respective EMEMs by hand, Dick Gordon had the handy Verb 79 which only required to input desired rate, deadband and axis and hit PRO. You'll have to do it the Collins way, I'm afraid.
Exactly this, you can use the Apollo 11 procedures for this part found here: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/a11-documents.html

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Thanks... I may give this a go after I try Apollo 10 to get more experience in the ways of lunar flight.
Is full checklist/MCC support planned for NASSP 8.0?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks... I may give this a go after I try Apollo 10 to get more experience in the ways of lunar flight.
Is full checklist/MCC support planned for NASSP 8.0?
As of right now NASSP 8 will support Apollo 7-11 Probably not later missions until after a 8.0 release but of course that can change!

barrygolden

Reaction score
there is a set of books called " Apollo Mission Reports " by apogee books that have pretty good time lines for all Apollo missions. A must have for all those who follow Apollo, good books

MrFickles

Reaction score
It's definitely possible! I'm currently flying Apollo 12 myself. I use the Apollo 12 flight plan, but the Apollo 11 checklists.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I decided to go ahead and try 12. Using the generic checklists, I am in orbit at GET 1h 40m. How do I get my TLI PAD? I am not to concerned about the two abort PADs... Will the LVDC automatically compute my TLI?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and try 12. Using the generic checklists, I am in orbit at GET 1h 40m. How do I get my TLI PAD? I am not to concerned about the two abort PADs... Will the LVDC automatically compute my TLI?
The generic checklists only loosely apply. To get your TLI pad you need to use the RTCC. The simple method is to just go to the Maneuver Pad page and choose the TLI pad and calculate it but its not perfect, but close enough. And yes your LVDC already knows which way to go ;)

There is also the extended RTCC method outlined in the RTCC manual for determining all the pieces of TLI.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Tried the RTCC manual and was instantly confused...
Will try this later today.
Thanks for your help with the first of many questions to come!

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah the RTCC manual takes a bit of deciphering for sure, glad to help! Also don't forget the discord ;)

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Up to LM extraction. How do I calculate my evasive maneuver?
RTCC manual didn't even mention this particular maneuver that I saw!
Which evasive maneuver? The SIVB?

The CSM does not perform an evasive on Apollo 12

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
use the actual flight plan and procedures.
That is exactly what I am doing now.

At GET 5h 23m the Apollo 12 flightplan tells me to uplink my PTC REFSMMAT. I think I have found the REFSMMAT Uplink screen in RTCC and calculated my PTC REFSMMAT, but I cannot figure out how to uplink it to the CMC.