Apollo 9 Documentation?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to run the Apollo 9 simulation and except for a copy of the flight plan I'm having trouble finding the checklists etc that they used. Can anyone help with that?

Thanks

thermocalc

Reaction score
hi Wedge313, first of all congratulations for all your flown missions, it seems RTCC is no longer a mystery for you now (i am trying to understand it by looking at all your missions and help you got along the way...really instructive indeed).
last year (?) when i flown the A9 i managed to get some docs from the vAGC download sections as well as the AFJ and also taking some data along the trip from the Apollo by number document, but beside these sites i didn't find too much specific checklists or staff like that, but i merely follow the MCC checklist and the original flight plan to make it to the end ... there is also the rendezvous document...so that's also helped a lot...

Attachments

• apollo 9.JPG
    apollo 9.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 92

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We dont have as much Apollo 9 documentation as we do other missions, so as thermocalc said, the ones on the VAGC page are your best bet such as the G&N dictionary and the rendezvous procedures. Additionally, if you look at the end of the flight plan, there are more details on the test objectives that might help clarify things as well. If you are looking for something specific let me know and I can point you to it, the closest analog, or tell you we dont have it :p

Wedge313

Reaction score
it seems RTCC is no longer a mystery for you now
Haha! I don't fully understand the RTCC. It's a great tool, but every time I think I've got it figured out I come upon a maneuver that throws me for a curve. rcflyinghokie, Indy91, Miriam or some other knowledgeable person has been there to bail me out. But about 95% of the info they passed on to me when I did Apollo 15 (I asked a ton of questions during that flight) carries over to all the other non MCC supported NASSP flights. I printed out most of the Apollo 15 thread where they answered my questions and use it as a supplement to the RTCC manual and Input Reference Guide. But those guys have it figured out, I'm still pushing buttons hoping for good results.

Thanks for the input, it's helped me find more Apollo 9 stuff.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Under the category "minutiae": On CSM Panel 252, should the switch be labeled "STOAGE" or "STOWAGE"? Did they leave the "W" out to save weight? :unsure:

ggalfi

Reaction score
When I tried to fly Apollo 9 circa two years ago, I also struggled with the lack of documentation. It became especially important when it came to SPS burn, where the stability of the control law was tested by intentionally adding a periodic deflection to the normal control signal of the engine gimbal. I guess the goal was to see whether this periodic disturbance is dampened out automatically. As this stroking was only a test mode of the CMC software, it was not referred in any CSM G&N checklist which is publicly available (Apollo 9's is not one of them), so I googled on the term "apollo stroker", in the hope I'd find some memo or procedure description for that. However, what Google returned me was exceptionally surprising and funny. Important advice: do this search in incognito mode and not having your boss or spouse behind your back :)