Update Apollo 9 LM software is now available!

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A version of Sundance, the Apollo 9 LM software, is now available to be used in NASSP. It's not 100% the flown version, as we don't have that. Instead it's a sort of Frankenstein's Sundance, a version compiled from several revisions of Sundance.

Ron Burkey from the Virtual AGC project has written a good summary of the situation with Sundance, so I don't have to write the same thing again. Just read it here: https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Luminary.html#Sundance306

So what is now usable in NASSP is what we call Sundance306ish, the version that is as close as we could get right now to the flown software. The Checklist MFD file is up-to-date now, the scenarios have been updated and I've flown all LM activities twice (once with SundanceXXX during the process of making it usable, and once with Sundance306ish as a final test and to save new scenarios).

All actual checklists and the LM rendezvous procedures document can now be followed to the letter with this version of Sundance. Previously we used Luminary 69 (Apollo 10 LM software) for Apollo 9 and there were a bunch of differences in the procedures we had to account for.

Sundance306ish seems quite stable and capable to me. It's highly unlikely that it is already identical to the flown Sundance306, so there are probably some buggy leftovers from the modules of earlier revisions. But it's definitely usable in NASSP and we would need to find more information about Sundance 306 to get even closer to the flown version. Maybe some day.

Thanks to Mike (thewonderidiot) for all the amazing disassembly and reconstruction work on this. In the near future I'll also make some videos of interesting features in Sundance, spoiler, it had already working lunar descent programs. A bit buggy and missing some useful things, but it can in fact land on the Moon.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It was fun to watch you and Mike work through this over IRC on my lunch breaks.

I always thought this logo from the vAGC website was very appropriate for reasons like this.

ApolloPatchD.png