Apollo AMSO Boost Protective Cover cap Black Tip

Apollo 11

Reaction score
apollo_launch.jpg
On the Apollo Missions, there was a black tip on the top of the boost protective cap and launch escape tower. This is not implemented in AMSO. Someone with more expierience than I do, can you please add this black tip to the launch tower mesh? Here is a picture from a saturn v launch.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I will repaint it for you wait about 30 minuets.
EDIT: I cant filnd the texture for the Tower

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
any one know wear the texture is ? I looked in the Amso folder

Apollo 11

Reaction score
If anyone can help on this launch tower PLEASE do, that one tiny thing really bothers me!!!:crazy: Also, in AMSO is it possible to have the F-1 exhaust textures like these:
10074833.jpg

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Did this black tip serve any purpose what so ever, also that exhuast was proabply when the SIC was about to stage, that means it was going very very fast.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
None other than visual accuracy, which I'm a big fan of. The exhaust was, yes, around the point of S-1C staging. It was caused by mide 1 bravo and mode 1 charlie, which were abort control modes designed to aid the crew if the launch vehicles engines were to be shut down in a situation where abort is nessesary during accent.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was looking at a photo of the Apollo-11 Saturn V and I notived there was a rounded cap on to of the L.E.S. rocket that completely covered that black tip !
I don't know if it was romoved prior to launch or not but I'd hate to be the guy that had to walk over on the catwalk and pluck it off !

Helios

Reaction score
Topping the rocket before launch was a small cap called the "Q-ball" cover which protected the angle of attack meter on the LES system. It was retracted about 5 minutes before launch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Q-Ball cover—The Q-ball's pitot tubes, which could easily be clogged by debris, were protected by a styrofoam cover that was removed a few seconds before launch.[2] The Q-ball cover was split in half vertically and held together by a 2 inch rubber band. A razor blade was positioned behind the rubber band, pinched between the halves of the cover. A wire rope was connected to the top and bottom of the razor blade and to both halves of the cover. The wire rope was routed through a pulley on the hammerhead crane at the top of the launch umbilical tower (LUT) down to a tube on the right side of the 360 foot level of the LUT. The wire rope was connected to a cylindrical weight inside a tube. The weight rested on a lever controlled by a pneumatic solenoid valve. When the valve was actuated from the Launch Control Center (LCC), the pneumatic pressure of 600 PSI GN2 (nitrogen gas) rotated the lever down allowing the weight to drop down the tube. The dropping weight pulled the wire rope, which pulled the blade cutting the rubber band, and the wire rope pulled the halves of the Q-Ball away from the launch vehicle. The apparent overengineering of this simple system was due to the fact that the launch escape system, which depended on the Q-ball data, was armed 5 minutes before launch, so retraction of the Q-ball cover was a life-critical part of a possible pad abort.

From wikipedia