New Feature Apollo Skin for Orbiter-Forum now available!!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Greetings Orbinauts!

After a long time, we have finally got around to working on the Apollo skin. This was made possible with the help of many people, so I must extend my thanks to all of you who I will list below! :tiphat:

With the arrival of the new Apollo skin we have had to retire the old Kartel skin. We do apologize if that was your favorite, but it was severely outdated and littered with sloppy html. I think once you see the new Apollo skin that you will find it more pleasing than the old Kartel. We've provided two very similar versions of the new skin.

1. 'Apollo (Fixed)' which features a large header image of the CSM cockpit panel and is a fixed width of 950px.

2. 'Apollo (Fluid)' is basically a child skin of the original, except we used a much smaller header (the design by 'wehaveaproblem' with a few small changes) and the width of the skin is fluid, meaning the width moves with the size of your browser window.

You may choose the skin you prefer by using the drop down menu on the footer of the site or from your options page.

I'd like to give a special thanks to the following people:
  • Krys (concept sketch, graphics, & feedback)
  • orb (code implementation, graphics, testing & feedback)
  • tblaxland (code implementation, testing & feedback)
  • wehaveaproblem (fluid header design & contest winner)
  • Woo482 (graphics & feedback)
  • Xyon (testing & feedback)

Without your help this would have been a lot harder! Thanks everyone; and to the community, we hope you enjoy the new skin!! :cheers:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hooray! This is just the best thing ever to happen to O-F since I've been here that I can recall in by mildly sleep-deprived state!

Well done Krys, Orb, Tblaxland, Wehaveaproblem, Woo482, Xyon, and Tex!

Last edited:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
He'll never notice. :p
:p Well it does say my post was edited. But to make up for me forgetting him I put his name in red.

Anyway, to anybody reading this and using an Apollo skin, which one are you using, and why? (Just curious)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Currently, fluid - I was testing both, and tested the fluid one second, and just left it. :p

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I'm using Fluid as well, I dunno why it's just the second one I clicked on so I left it.
Deja vu of Xyon's post...

Darren

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Fixed - I did do the header image after all! (With changes by the rest of the gfx team)

Besides, it looks pretty.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Oh fail. It's fixed I'm using too - I like the cockpit screenshots thar :p

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh fail. It's fixed I'm using too - I like the cockpit screenshots thar :p
The cockpit graphics are just awesome... if I knew java or something I might code a little Greasemonkey script to switch between the two every once in a while.

Or I could just do it manually :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very cool guys. Thanks all of you for your work on this. I love it!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Funny, to kill time earlier this week I was making cleaned-up versions of most of the Kartel skin's graphics, and was thinking of posting them...

Ah well, this is much better. :thumbup:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Funny, to kill time earlier this week I was making cleaned-up versions of most of the Kartel skin's graphics, and was thinking of posting them...

Ah well, this is much better. :thumbup:

Cheers for that, but let us know before using your time to work on forum graphics as you might be surprised we're already working on something similar. If we're not, then the help is always appreciated, just run your idea by us first to make sure it's something we'd be keen on. :cheers:

Concerning the Kartel skin...you don't even want to see how horrible that code was. I bought that skin a long time ago and it was supposed to be a "professional" skin. As forum software updates progressed and we took a closer look at the code for all skins, we realized just how bad Kartel was. At any rate, the Apollo skin has been a long time coming and I know tblaxland and myself are not keen on managing more skins than we already do. :tiphat:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Concerning the Kartel skin...you don't even want to see how horrible that code was. I bought that skin a long time ago and it was supposed to be a "professional" skin. As forum software updates progressed and we took a closer look at the code for all skins, we realized just how bad Kartel was. At any rate, the Apollo skin has been a long time coming and I know tblaxland and myself are not keen on managing more skins than we already do. :tiphat:
But it looked so nice...the Apollo one has too much contrast in some areas and too little in others :/

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I know you like the darker skins Hielor, have you tried 'Orbiter' or 'Dark Nights'? 'M6classic is sort of in between I guess...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I mostly like the coloration of the Apollo one, it's just the yellow-and-black banded bars that seem kind of strange. I'll get used to it, I'm sure--I totally understand not wanting to have to support old and cruddy things anymore :)

Dark Nights--the bright green text doesn't work too well for me (my glasses cause a lot of chromatic aberration which is most noticeable for very high-contrast, bright colors--the Swiss flag icon that a couple users have on the forums is a total trip for me...I know the white cross is *supposed* to be centered in the red field, but depending on which angle I'm looking at it from it can be anywhere within the red field and sometimes even outside of it...the Canadian one is fun too)...

M6 classic--is it supposed to have a dark background or a light background? It's dark in some places and light in others, I like consistentcy :p

Orbiter--it's not bad, it was my second favorite before...it's just that for some reason the blue-ness of the background bothers me.

I know, I know, impossible to please. The Apollo skin is the closest to Kartel I think, so I'm using it--it's really just a few nitpicks. It's nice work overall :)