Question Are astronauts insurable for life insurance?

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I was thinking about the upcoming SpaceX DM-2 flight and how Bob and Doug have hopefully kept their life insurance policies paid up in case something happens during the mission, but it got me thinking about life insurance for astronauts. Can they get life insurance, and if so, is it at normal rates or astronomical rates (pun intended)?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I don’t think back in the MGA era they were (correct me if I’m wrong), if I remember correctly that was part of the stamp scandal. I’m sure it’s a different story nowadays.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was thinking about the upcoming SpaceX DM-2 flight and how Bob and Doug have hopefully kept their life insurance policies paid up in case something happens during the mission, but it got me thinking about life insurance for astronauts. Can they get life insurance, and if so, is it at normal rates or astronomical rates (pun intended)?

The civilians can choose among different life insurance models, the military astronauts are a different matter, since they are still soldiers, they can get a standard serviceman life insurance though.