Updates Artemis Program Updates & Discussions

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
What worries me about Starship is the painters scaffolding you come down on and the lack of clearance on the ground.

Well, if SpaceX intends to have separate landing engines, they could arrange them so the ship comes down horizontally. The astronauts could conveniently step out of the airlock. :)

picture.php

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if SpaceX intends to have separate landing engines, they could arrange them so the ship comes down horizontally. The astronauts could conveniently step out of the airlock. :)

But that would increase the pressure of the exhaust on the lunar surface and kick off a lot of dust, while in the current configuration, there is a lot of separation, that permits to land closer to existing bases and especially solar arrays.

Would be nasty, if you would have to dust off the solar arrays after every landing, especially if the dust also gets into the mechanisms.

dman

Reaction score
Maybe NASA was concerned that the Boeing lander's might rapidly pitch down and crash due to undisclosed, but known, software bugs.

Had trouble getting the parachutes tp work ………..

barrygolden

Reaction score
don't hear alot from NASA about the dust problem as of yet. have to see what the contract has after Feb 2021

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Personally hoping that Blue Origin loses the contract award for the Human Landing System

SpaceX and/or Dynetics are the companies more deserving to win those awards because of their innovation, design reusability, and higher safety compared to the almost expendable proposal by the Blue Origin National Team

Soumya-8974

Add-on developer
Reaction score
Me too. I don't like the reusability technique possessed by the National HLS proposed by Blue Origin. NASA is more likely to choose Dynetics and SpaceX on February 2021.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
don't hear alot from NASA about the dust problem as of yet. have to see what the contract has after Feb 2021
If you look at the previous moon landings (and liftoffs) dust on hardware was never a problem.
You have video from the Lunar rovers during liftoff and you don't see dust falling on the camera.
Even the Surveyors were quite clean after landing.

barrygolden

Reaction score
yeah not much dust on the LM bug the suits were covered to the point with Apollo 15 were not have been able to do a 4th EVA due to dust in the zippers and joints even the rover had to be dusted off almost every stop plus the camera. a little air pressure might be used to blow the suits off on Artemis 3.

cannon_gray

Reaction score
I hope the implementation of the mission will follow all deadlines as for now there are lots of contracts singed but none of the stage is ready - not the lunar base or spacecraft, however, NASA is doing its best to be ready for the first flight by 2024. Nine women and nine men have been already selected for training in the Artemis lunar program.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Sadly Administrator Bridenstine said that if Artemis not funded before Christmas then no 2024 landing moved to 2016. However that will slip even more as does all of NASA's plans and most likely canceled under Joe as was Constellation under Obama. Money will be used to reeducate us in "wokness" or given to china to land there men on the Moon

Pioneer

Reaction score
Sadly Administrator Bridenstine said that if Artemis not funded before Christmas then no 2024 landing moved to 2016. However that will slip even more as does all of NASA's plans and most likely canceled under Joe as was Constellation under Obama. Money will be used to reeducate us in "wokness" or given to china to land there men on the Moon
Let's fund sending the woke people to Pluto instead. Hit two birds with one stone

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I have friends that work on Artemis at KSC. Recently I asked what the administration change means for the 2024 deadline and they said they’re working on it as if there wasn’t a 2024 deadline. However, it was assured that rollout would likely happen this coming summer. “The more the first one gets delayed, the easier it will be to transition into the next one”.

castorp

Reaction score

'seems there's a new "race to the moon" in the offing...?
I wonder who, if anyone, will manage to succeed first!? ;)
Either way, the proof will most certainly be in the pudding, and I sincerely hope that the efforts of the western liberal democracies aren't shown-up too brutaly by those of the unfortunately authoritarian east!
cheers,
-g

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A cool pic of the Orion capsule pressure vessel (mostly the cabin), very interesting for 3D modeling of various capsules :

Note the lattice structure everywhere, to prevent the inner hull from "ballooning".

241749496_4296216777160773_7261794940094898063_n.jpg

Last edited: