Science Ask Paolo Nespoli

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got a message from Orbinaut Pete today (thanks Pete!) linking me to this video:

Paolo Nespoli answered my question from the ISS!

He is still taking questions, and you can submit your own as a video response to this video:

The sooner you submit, the sooner you will get an answer. Good luck!

diogom

Reaction score
That is awesome! I'm gonna ask Paolo if he has ever played Orbiter :lol: No, just kidding. It's great that they are giving people this opurtunity, thanks for posting this here George! :thumbup:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Nice feeling hu ;) I had a small conversation with Chris Hadfield (commander expedition 35) a short time ago on twitter. It's an epic feeling when astronauts/cosmonauts answer your questions. Especially when it's a video! Nice question btw.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I came across that video via Twitter earlier today. I remember George posting back in 2009 when Frank DeWinne answered a question he had submitted, so when I saw that video, I immediately knew it was to O-F's very own george7378!

Paolo has Tweeted me from the ISS a few times, but having him make a video for you is definitely cooler! :thumbup:

The Aviator

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Today I submitted my question to Paolo (in my far to be perfect "Italenglish") as a video response to his one. I hope to get an answer soon. :)
I just want to say thank you to George that posted this here, and Pete to be our diligent informer about these facts! Thank you guys! :thumbup:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Today I submitted my question to Paolo (in my far to be perfect "Italenglish") as a video response to his one. I hope to get an answer soon. :)
I just want to say thank you to George that posted this here, and Pete to be our diligent informer about these facts! Thank you guys! :thumbup:

Good luck - you should get an answer soon, hopefully. It's good that you mentioned Orbiter too!

diogom

Reaction score
Just a little question: I don't need to make a video right?

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just a little question: I don't need to make a video right?

Yes, you do - that is what many people don't do, and their questions don't get answered. Look at the comments - for some reason, ESA don't specify that you need to post a video.

diogom

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Now I just need to think of a good question!

Last edited:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I did a bit of looking around, and found out where the ISS was when the video answering my question was made - I found that the large lake he zooms in to is called 'Salton Sea' and it is on the western shore of the US, on the border of California. The city he zoomed in to at 3:21 is San Diego, the small island to the right at 3:42 is Isla Tiburon, and the town he zoomed in to at 1:53 is Temecula. I will do a little bit more research to try and find out exactly when the video was taken. :thumbup:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
After looking back and trying to draw the ground track from the video, and looking at the cloud maps from the day, I think it was taken on the 23rd January at about 13:55UT. It could be a couple of days either side of this, but that's my guess. If so, it was my birthday when he filmed it. :lol:

Here's the ground track for the time I think it was:

Attachments

• 23rd.PNG
    23rd.PNG
    152.2 KB · Views: 25

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I am going to ask a question aswell, just making the video now.

Can you see other objects, debris or sattelites from the International Space Station?

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
hmmm...i guess any aliens passing by the solar system cant really know about us then ...which may be bad or good :)

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
hmmm...i guess any aliens passing by the solar system cant really know about us then ...which may be bad or good :)

I suppose so - unless they swung round the night side, the they would get a suprise!

Scruce - good luck!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I suppose so - unless they swung round the night side, the they would get a suprise!

Scruce - good luck!

Thanks, i hope he will answer, the video will be up in 20min.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
My question would be:

"Do you see 'regular dreams' or do all those flashes, effect them in any way? "

Keatah

Reaction score
That is awesome! I'm gonna ask Paolo if he has ever played Orbiter :lol: No, just kidding. It's great that they are giving people this opurtunity, thanks for posting this here George! :thumbup:

Only a few astronauts play orbiter. Most of them seem to be un-aware of it!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Only a few astronauts play orbiter. Most of them seem to be un-aware of it!

I would be surprised if there was only one astronaut playing Orbiter. Under the U. S. definition, only 496 people qualify as having reached space, above 50 miles (80 km) altitude.