asking for youtube tutorials

fwd0502

chinese boy,the heir of dragon
Reaction score
i can now break the blocking of internet by the :censored:ing communist party now,so which video tutorial should i watch on youtube?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i can now break the blocking of internet by the :censored:ing communist party now,so which video tutorial should i watch on youtube?

Wouldn't that count as assisting users in illegal activity?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Take a look at TexFilms (great tutorials and a great film maker as well)
David Courtney also has some very good tutorials

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
And for the laziest among us, here are the links for the two playlists of tutorials:

TexFilms:

David Courtney:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zaubu3RgU&list=PLPu_SHPaJzs4e1NfhY8jxPGgk5S4duEql"]Orbiter 2010 - [Part 1] Absolute Beginner Guide - Getting to Orbit 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Take a look at TexFilms (great tutorials and a great film maker as well)
David Courtney also has some very good tutorials

With this coming from a mod, I take it that talking about (and encouraging) members circumventing site-restrictions of their country's policy is not counting as fraudulent activity according to the rules. In light of my country's recent political development (which I will not further discuss here), this is good to know! :tiphat:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, it's not the place here for a soapbox. But when I was thinking illegal activity I was more thinking along the lines of piracy and other illegal downloads and the encouragement of the same. I've seen proxy servers used at work to get around barriers in place at work so people can watch sporting events at work (not participating in that, job isn't worth the risk to see a game).

But an oppresive government restricting the freeflow of information in the interest of keeping a population in check. That I cannot abide. This also includes my own government... I figure I'm on a watch list already :shrug: so next time I'm in the kichen cooking and need help with a recipe, I'm just going to ask Alexa what the NSA recommends for cooking times.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Since Orbiter and science videos are not political or commercial I don't think it's a problem trying to see them.

Regarding monitoring, yes, our activities here are checked because we model and simulate things like military bases, test sites, hardware, etc. from many countries.
I've received some emails asking for my data sources in the past, so this is not speculation ;)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since Orbiter and science videos are not political or commercial I don't think it's a problem trying to see them.

I think so, too.

Obviously, though, politicians from certain countries (which are clearly acknowledged as such by international law) think different about that. I don't see me as capable of deciding what country is doing the "right" and what country is doing the "wrong" legislation in this aspect. That would be a bit arrogant IMHO, therefore my question here.

With PC's statement, I think the crew's opinion on that is clear and we can safely say that at least on O-F it is not a problem trying to see Orbiter related videos from whatever country you are in, even if that means to circumvent your country's - supposedly unjust - blocking laws.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Digging around on YouTube, I've remembered some tutorials by "thesnorklemonkey", while they are older (for Orbiter 2010), the mechanics remain. Still good stuff.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a quick vote of support for David Courtney's videos. He did a TON of them and they are awesome. I loved how he started with the most simple maneuvers and ended up with super-complex things. If you haven't done a Mars trajectory plan for a while, it's always worth reviewing these videos to refresh yourself.

David - if you are still out there: hope things are going well with your recovery. True Orbiter Hall of Fame candidate here.

Atkara

Reaction score
Just a quick vote of support for David Courtney's videos. He did a TON of them and they are awesome. I loved how he started with the most simple maneuvers and ended up with super-complex things. If you haven't done a Mars trajectory plan for a while, it's always worth reviewing these videos to refresh yourself.

David - if you are still out there: hope things are going well with your recovery. True Orbiter Hall of Fame candidate here.

Dave's tutorials helped me immensely, during the last couple of days I've been watching them. Being a KSP player mainly, I knew I would need a crash course on the sim's MFDs and his tutorials did that and much more.