Advanced Question Atmospheric Slingshot ala Farscape style, ???

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
For those who have not witnessed this amazing show, basically the main character trys to "overcome gravity using nothing but earths natural pull" or something, so, from LEO orbit he uses a special craft from the hanger (of atlantis I think, definatly nasa) and burns straight at the atmosphere at what I can only assume is not a re-entry slope. thus using the bounce to gain angular momentum etc etc (shortly followed by getting sucked into a wormhole but thats not my question.)

so, is there a benefit to this sort of manuver, what slope if any would give such a gravity boost, is this even possible in reality? I figure I should put this here because it could indeed work, at least not beyond the realms of possibility.

from personal experience, stretching the orbit into an oval to the point of near re-entry has indeed shot me off VERY far into the solar system once or twice before from atmo bounce, or whatever the scientific term is. would love to hear your opinions people, happy floating :)

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score

ok, I'll make it simple, can you bounce off the atmosphere and gain velocity, in orbiter?

fail probe, 92 veiws and no reply whatsoever, :feedback::WTF:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok, I'll make it simple, can you bounce off the atmosphere and gain velocity, in orbiter?

No, you can't.

Tommy

Reaction score
You would actually lose velocity due to atmospheric drag. Keep Newton's laws in mind, particularly the conservation of energy. You'll gain some velocity (kinetic energy) coming down at the expense of altitude (potential energy) but the specific energy will remain the same - you're just trading one kind for another. After the "bounce" the process will be reversed - you'll trade kinetic energy for potential energy. Atmospheric drag would bleed off some of the kinetic energy, so the total specific energy will be lower after the "bounce".