Request Atomic Rocket

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
What I've been wanting for a long time is a Heinlein-esque nuclear-powered rocket. I know there are already Heinlein-y rockets on Orbithangar, but it would be a dream come true if there was one that had complex systems like the DGIV, that is, ability to control the reactor, electrical systems, the works.

What would especially make it hit the spot is if there were consequences for doing something wrong (a geiger counter in the cockpit would be excellent for determining whether the crew will make it to Luna unscathed or die from radiation poisoning).

Autopilots would be desired, but even if you use autopilots most of the time, the ship won't be completely hands-free (proper control of the reactor and other systems is the name of the game).

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I second this. The rocket from Destination Moon might be cool, but there are even bigger, more complex ones over on projectrho.com to pick from.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Vespucci D is probably the closest you've got right now to what you want.

However, I would also like to see a similar ship with DGIV level of detail and control.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd imagine that a fission powered lander would still be extraordinarily hazardous, depending on its exact design. Also, I believe I remember reading that current ideas for nuclear engines are too heavy to lift their own weight in Earth's gravity.

However, it may be assumed that advances in technology would make nuclear engines more efficient. However, there may be only so much that can be done with this type of engine.

Then there's the fact that most other bodies in the solar system that we'd actually want to land on have significantly less gravity than Earth does. Mars is the best example. It has an equatorial surface gravitational acceleration of 3.69 m/s^2, less than half that of Earth. Most other terrestrial bodies have less. Mercury is the only I've found so far with more, at 3.70 m/s^2. Venus probably has a higher surface gravity, but conditions there make it a poor choice for any manned landings.

This probably makes a fission drive more plausible for landing operations.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks cool. I'm giving it a read right now.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can't use MFD's for these to be true to the canon. You have to page through large volumes of logarithm tables. (Or memorize them ;) )

Heinlein missed portable calculators like Star Trek missed video cameras.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can't use MFD's for these to be true to the canon. You have to page through large volumes of logarithm tables. (Or memorize them ;) )

Heinlein missed portable calculators like Star Trek missed video cameras.

Hmm..good point. I suppose you could have a "logarithm table MFD".

For that matter, you have to turn off your HUD, too, don't you? Use star maps, identify stars, and adjust your attitude by eye.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Well, the MFDs could look like they were put in afterwards (electrical tape, labels, etc.).