IMFD Auto Burn Problem

zenitmann

Reaction score
I have a problem with IMFD with the Auto Burn I am preparing everything & doing exactly as I seen in the tutorails but when I hit the AB it is not firing.
So I decided to go to Mars with Trans X I could go Mars twice but now I am overshooting the Mars I couldnt solve the manouevre mod issue. I think I am not capable to understand it. :facepalm:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
If you are new to Orbiter and you went twice to Mars with TransX, you are definitely capable to understand it.

Take your time...this is rocket science!!
:hailprobe:

Tommy

Reaction score
If you could be more specific about what exactly happens when you hit AB?

Can you get into Burn View? This is the one that shows 4 quadrants with info on dV required, dV applied, etc? If not, or you see a "no vector" warning, then you have missed something in the set-up.

Does anything change when you hit AB? There should be a couple lines in the lower left that show a countdown (TTB) and a duration (BT). The engines won't usually fire immediately - they will wait until the correct time.

Also, what vessel are you using? Some add-ons do funny things with thruster groups and propellant resources that can interfere with IMFD's autoburn.

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
When you want to go to another planet with IMFD you don't have to start the burn from the Course program (where you set your target) but from the Orbit Eject program.

First set your target in the Course program, then go to the Orbit Eject program and set the parameter "Higher Orbit" to "Course". After you have done that you can use the Auto Burn in the Orbit Eject program.

zenitmann

Reaction score
First I Thank all of you for your interests and your quick replies. I have a problem no vector warning and yes I see I ve missed something. And now ı am trying to understand Trans X . A few minutes ago my another attemp was an big error. (Sorry my English) I ve made escape plan than taken note the Delta V and reset the data in escape plan . then manouevre on entered the correct data Cl app. was 41 k to surface. But at the Eject Date 90 sec. before pressed VW centered X and What did I see? I was retrograde. If I had made the burn probably it would de- orbit :facepalm: Again and again failure but I ll not give up.
PS:This situation make me to think what If I want to go Venus it is an inner planet so I have to retro grade but in this case I 'd de-orbit. I think burn prograde for a while after when the ship is out Earths SOI turn retrograde am I right?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
To go to other planets always burn prograde.

In very few words:
burn during the day if you want to go to inner planets;
burn during the night to go to outer planets.

In your example (going to Venus), while you burn prograde in relation to Earth, in the same time you are burning retrograde in relation to the Sun.
So you will escape Earth, still orbiting the Sun a bit slower than Earth, and you'll "fall" towards the inner planets.

Last edited:

zenitmann

Reaction score
Yes That s alright I understand the basics. Thank you. And if you please help me what am I doing wrong in planning in manoeuvre mod. when I centered the X thing in to the center to aim the burn it was retrograde so I ve decided not to burn for avoid from de orbit to earth. Do I make a plane change? Or Man date? Or What? Thanks for the help.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Play around with the ejection date until you get an ejection on the day side of the Earth. When ejecting to other planets, you don't really have to worry that much about precise ejection; any ejection within a day or two of the target date will get you there.

A similar thing can happen in IMFD, where the Course program shows an ejection date that would end up deorbiting the vessel. In IMFD, you use the (not sure of the correct name) Ejection program and pick a ejection on the correct side of the planet, even though the exact ejection times between the programs differ.

zenitmann

Reaction score
Thank You for the answer. I ve made it today but I had to course correction three times and I ve received Mars a westward orbit. I am learning trial and error.

zenitmann

Reaction score
Thank you Ripley you have encouraged me. I did just as you explained yesterday: "burn during the day if you want to go to inner planets " and I went to Venus. This time was easier for me than to go to Mars. Now I am Practising the encounter it s a little hard for me so ı have a vector that ends with the surface of the Venus. Turned the XR2 90 degrees to right and made a 230 km periapsis then I used Orbit MFD to achieve a circular orbit. In the last step I couldnt touch down (Cause of density of the atmosphere it was slowed too much accelerated time and crashed :lol: ) but anyway another goal achieved.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Good!
I'm very pleased my quick hint helped you so much!

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
You look already proficent, but after watching blixel's YT channel you'll be a Pro!

Speaking of Mercury...

Last edited:

zenitmann

Reaction score
It is your kindness thank you. If I can be an average player that can use MFD s and other stuff correctly I would be happy. I ve tried to go to mercury and did it but it was very roughly , my plan was bad and a lot of MCC was necessary. Anyway I did it. :)
By the way David is a great man. His tutorials are clear and simple for the beginners like me. Thanks to all of you.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Is there a way in orbiter time acceleration more than 100k I need 1 million or 10 million because of travelling to outer planets taking hours in real time. If there s a way or a MFD program I ll be appreciate that.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there a way in orbiter time acceleration more than 100k I need 1 million or 10 million because of travelling to outer planets taking hours in real time. If there s a way or a MFD program I ll be appreciate that.

I guess that you could use this: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=25647.

I haven't tried it out, but from the comments it seems like that you have to expect some instabilities, so as the author says: "You have been warned".

zenitmann

Reaction score
This will be great thank you. I ve installed the orbiter to a pc one of my friends. I explained as I could.
He asked " How deep the rabbit hole goes?" And I said: "I am an orbinaut as a year or more. I couldnt travel to another planet until this week, I could make an interplanetary travel just for a week. Your first goal is to orbit around the earth ." I explained.

wllmpeek

Reaction score
Take your time...this is rocket science!!
:hailprobe:

I'm really horrible at math and science yet have travelled the entire solar system with orbiter. I postulate that, rocket science, isn't rocket science...