Announcement Bad RAM is bad

Vash

OHM Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Turns out the server had a bad memory module in it. That was the cause for the server outage this morning and late last night. It has now been replaced and appears to be working again for the time being.

I'll be keeping a much closer eye on the server for the next few days. Hopefully I'll be able to address any problems more quickly that way until things settle down again.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Vash, just to let you know that orbiter-forum.com completely dropped out of worldwide DNS cached listings when this happened (because you're only serving DNS records from ns1.orbithangar.com which is the same machine). It won't make a lot of difference in connecting trying to connect to OF if the machine is down anyway, but many domain name providers provide two DNS servers for you to use. You may want to consider offloading the DNS reporting to a differerent server (if nothing else than to stop email servers from reporting that OF has dropped off the face of the planet rather than just that the server's not responding - I'm assuming your MX records are being served from ns1 too).