Problem Baikonur surface texture glitch in 2016 hi-res texture pack.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Using a clean install of Orbiter 2016 with no add-ons or graphics clients, but adding the hi-res texture pack here: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/mirrors/orbiter_radio/tex_mirror.html#earth

... results in the attached image.

What's frustrating is the small number of overlaid tiles appear to be no higher in resolution to what is underneath and perhaps even lower. They differ most strikingly in not being colour matched.

The underlying tiles are visible depending on camera angle.

The issue remains visible using the latest DX9 client.

I'm guessing there's not much that can be done about this right now but figure it might be worth pointing out for future iterations of the hi-res pack (perhaps this should go in the Beta forum).

Has no one else noticed this? I found no mention despite searching. Or am I doing something silly? :)

Attachments

• Baik-16.jpg
    Baik-16.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 32

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It's really like that :)

You are seeing the old 2010 ground tiles pasted onto the global coverage, with no attempt at color matching.
I think you see the same in other places where there where 2010 tiles available.

The old tiles had a much higher resolution in 2010, so that why they were used I guess. But when converted to 2016, resolution drops and in the end they offer little improvement.

It's sort of possible to use Tiledit to export the surface texture. But you need to use print screens for that, because there's no direct export option.
There is a PNG import though...
You need to edit all tile levels in order for it to be 100% seamless. Otherwise you'll start to see the default coverage as you move away.

This sort of explains why nobody corrected it. Orbiter's 2016 terrain system is too awkward to work with.

I wonder why can't Orbiter 2010 simple surface tile system be used.
Much simpler, easy to work with and gives much higher resolutions.

Last edited: