Basic flight with DGIV

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
This is exactly what I thought would happen, when you detach from earth you are flying straight line (minus the starting speed from rotation of earth) while earth continue to spin!

So, the question is: If I'm flying from one place to another, how would I know what azimuth should i hold to arrive where i need?

Well, if your in an airplane they don't use launch azimuth, they use NDBs and VORs. Other than that, they use GPS.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, if your in an airplane they don't use launch azimuth, they use NDBs and VORs. Other than that, they use GPS.

On that note, is there a useful map somewhere of the VOR stations in Orbiter? They disappear too quickly to just zoom out and look at the earth, and the config file is rather not-readable.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is exactly what I thought would happen, when you detach from earth you are flying straight line (minus the starting speed from rotation of earth) while earth continue to spin!

So, the question is: If I'm flying from one place to another, how would I know what azimuth should i hold to arrive where i need?

I didn't really pay attention to see if MapMFD will calculate your proper heading. I think that IRL, pilots fly from one navigation beacon to another until they get to where they want to go

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm away from my home computer so I don't really remember exactly what the menu options are named, but if you hit F4 it will bring up a menu. One of the options is called "World Map" or something like that. It opens a window with a map of the world with all the VOR stations shown on it. You can zoom in until you can read the identifier for the VOR you want (KSCX for Cape Canaveral, for instance). Another menu option is called "Object Info" or something, and you can look up the base to get the VOR frequency.

There's an add-on called SuborbitalMFD, which is designed for ballistic flights on planets with no atmosphere, but can be helpful in plotting a course on earth also.

For adding bases, download the OrbiterSDK. It includes manuals which explain how bases are made. Also, an add-on called Surface Base Wizard makes laying out buildings, pads, and runways much easier.