Vessel Basic ISS mod with updated model.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hello Everyone.
I am just wondering if there is some kind of mod that adds an updated ISS with the current modules.
I tried the Donamy and Thorton ISS mod, but it runs really slowly on my computer, even with low-res mode.
Is there some kind of "all one craft" ISS mod instead of pieces, like in Donamy and Thorton mod.
Thanks!
Krish

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tried the Donamy and Thorton ISS mod, but it runs really slowly on my computer, even with low-res mode.

What are the specs of your computer ?

You possibly have an issue like incorrect graphic client settings.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
For my personal installation I actually modified the stock Project Alpha mesh last year to look something like the current ISS configuration. Lots of imperfections I'm sure but closer than having the power platform which makes the stock ISS a fantasy mesh now (which is also totally appropriate for flying a DG to).

iss.jpg

I don't think I can share this - although I think David used to modify the stock mesh for the ISS in stages for the Shuttle fleet. Those models are still at simviation and might be an option for the OP, assuming they play nicely with Orbiter 2016: https://simviation.com/1/browse-Space+Orbiter-111-1 [EDIT again: I tested it, there are compatibility issues, no big surprise].

But I totally understand the desire for a current config ISS in a simple single mesh. I'd consider doing one myself but it would feel a bit like reinventing the wheel.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, I do think that the most realistic way to render the ISS in Orbiter 2016 is to have it as an assembly of docked modules. That's the way it is in reality, and Orbiter 2016 does support and simulates quite accurately "superstructures" (assemblies of docked vessels).

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
What are the specs of your computer ?

You possibly have an issue like incorrect graphic client settings.
Hey, I just have an old laptop that I do my school work on, it's what I am using. It is very slow, so nothing too hi-spec. It runs Orbiter at about 45 fps.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Actually, I do think that the most realistic way to render the ISS in Orbiter 2016 is to have it as an assembly of docked modules. That's the way it is in reality, and Orbiter 2016 does support and simulates quite accurately "superstructures" (assemblies of docked vessels).
True, but my computer seems to slow down because of it, and also Orbiter crashes often for me with several vessels.

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
For my personal installation I actually modified the stock Project Alpha mesh last year to look something like the current ISS configuration. Lots of imperfections I'm sure but closer than having the power platform which makes the stock ISS a fantasy mesh now (which is also totally appropriate for flying a DG to).

View attachment 26502

I don't think I can share this - although I think David used to modify the stock mesh for the ISS in stages for the Shuttle fleet. Those models are still at simviation and might be an option for the OP, assuming they play nicely with Orbiter 2016: https://simviation.com/1/browse-Space+Orbiter-111-1 [EDIT again: I tested it, there are compatibility issues, no big surprise].

But I totally understand the desire for a current config ISS in a simple single mesh. I'd consider doing one myself but it would feel a bit like reinventing the wheel.
Yes! This is what I wanted to have! Is there a possibility to tilt the panels into vertical position and make it maintain the correct attitude?

Krishnan

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Can you send me the exact mod link? I am not having the same model that you have, the japanese modules are missing, along with european modules

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Can you send me the exact mod link? I am not having the same model that you have, the japanese modules are missing, along with european modules

Sorry - I just meant this as a proof of concept to show what a basic, but current ISS config mesh, could be like. It's not a public add-on. I think the authors of current ISS models are better placed to make something accurate, but less complex. This is pretty rough.

Or it might be a worthwhile challenge for another developer?

I understand the desire to keep things simple. I will have some single-vessel stations out in the future but probably not the ISS.