Sire
Not travelling through the GUIK gap? Looks like they aim for PR. :rofl:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
They could get to Port Arthur, but I bet they don't.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Dosen't Russia have ports or friendly nations in East Africa, and South America. Or have things changed since I woke up!

N.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Heh it works both ways - UK ships probably hang around USSR areas, just outside the boundary.

A story from decades ago that made me laugh:

In the '80s there was a news item about a British military ship that had gone into the Eastern stretches of the Baltic Sea. For the first time in decades, and all arranged in advance and completely legal. The news report showed pictures of all this going on.

At one point a Russian "Trawler" was sailing close to the Destroyer, very obviously watching (this is their right of course). So for fun the military captain ran up an old-style flag message to the Russian trawler, which apparently read "Please keep clear - I am using fishing nets"!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
BBC breakfast program has a reporter standing on Dover cliffs looking for the fleet. You couldn't make it up.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
She(for that was her), looked most confused, and a what am I doing here attitude. Last comment was "the fleet is 35 nautical miles away" Very technical, and a complete waste of an OB job.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
She(for that was her), looked most confused, and a what am I doing here attitude. Last comment was "the fleet is 35 nautical miles away" Very technical, and a complete waste of an OB job.

N.

At least she does not recite Francis Drake on that location. :lol:

Though... Queen Elizabeth would also be cool. Who needs Game of Thrones, when you get such an offer?

Last edited:

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A dumb observation from a complete landlubber: how much fuel does i a thing like that carry? When they stop somewhere for gas, they probably have to sit around for a long time until it's filled...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A dumb observation from a complete landlubber: how much fuel does i a thing like that carry? When they stop somewhere for gas, they probably have to sit around for a long time until it's filled...

A few hundred tons of crud per ship. Takes a few hours, regardless if you use CONREP or refuel in port by a barge. The aircraft carrier should be around 8000 tons of heavy fuel oil for 8500 NM range (@ 18 knots).

A large container ship consumes about 250 tons of fuel per day, at 22 knots - so it travels over 500 NM per day. At extra slow steaming (18 knots), its down to 100 tons per day.

Last edited:

Longjap

Reaction score

What Urwumpe said. Most of them carry three types of fuel on board and are switched based on regulations of the area. Heavy Fuel Oil, a high viscosity, high sulphur refinery waste product for use on international waters (Preferably mixed with other chemical or petroleum derived waste :facepalm:). Light Fuel Oil, a sulphur level below 1% for use in the vicinity of shores and marine gas oil, a heavy diesel for use inside ports.

Edit: I'm not familiar with CONREP but by barge in a port, with all empty tanks and considering high capacity tanks, relatively low pump speed and they have a separate barge for every fuel taking their turn, it can take up to 12 hours to fully refuel.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What Urwumpe said. Most of them carry three types of fuel on board and are switched based on regulations of the area. Heavy Fuel Oil, a high viscosity, high sulphur refinery waste product for use on international waters (Preferably mixed with other chemical or petroleum derived waste :facepalm:). Light Fuel Oil, a sulphur level below 1% for use in the vicinity of shores and marine gas oil, a heavy diesel for use inside ports.

Yeah, and when switching fuels, you can sometimes observe the "Stokers salute"*. :lol:

----------------

* "Heizergruß" in German language, often an intentional change to a very fat or a very lean mixture for producing highly visible smoke. Not sure if a tradition like that exists in other countries or navies. It is a common prank by engineers to make the deck crew aware of their work deep inside the ship. A good "Heizergruß" results in a multiple nautical miles long cloud of smoke and sets off smoke detectors in cities kilometers away from the ship. Also it makes the white hats of the formal uniform for the deck crews nicely black. Of course, the following disciplinary punishment for the involved engineers is also traditionally mandatory.

Last edited:

Longjap

Reaction score
Yeah, and when switching fuels, you can sometimes observe the "Stokers salute"*. :lol:

----------------

* "Heizergruß" in German language, often an intentional change to a very fat or a very lean mixture for producing highly visible smoke. Not sure if a tradition like that exists in other countries or navies. It is a common prank by engineers to make the deck crew aware of their work deep inside the ship. A good "Heizergruß" results in a multiple nautical miles long cloud of smoke and sets off smoke detectors in cities kilometers away from the ship. Also it makes the white hats of the formal uniform for the deck crews nicely black. Of course, the following disciplinary punishment for the involved engineers is also traditionally mandatory.

No I was not aware of that, nice to know. I do know of cases where the refuel barge crew false asleep, causing a screaming and stressing Chief Engineer and a deck that's also black and very sticky. Not really considered a tradition though. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No I was not aware of that, nice to know. I do know of cases where the refuel barge crew false asleep, causing a screaming and stressing Chief Engineer and a deck that's also black and very sticky. Not really considered a tradition though. ;)

I can really imagine it. :lol:

Another word that is utterly untranslatable from German navy lingo is "Heizerflöhe" (lit. stoker fleas). The result of cleaning the exhaust pipes of the ship from soot by injecting compressed air or steam into them. On some ships, it was necessary to do this twice per day.

Something you will NEVER do on a cruise ship. :lol: Also never in port. And when you do so, then usually after getting the permission of the bridge crew, to ensure that the wind is blowing the soot off the ship.

Of course, when you upset your chief engineer, you can have a sudden blast of soot in port. Or with low relative wind.

Last edited:

Longjap

Reaction score
"navy lingo" :lol:
Well I can go on and on about my "sleeping barge crew" refuelling experiences in harbour. The Emma (or others of her class) Maersk has a very big door in the side of her hull that opens, sliding on the outside alongside her hull, to access the FO connections. A full barge lays neatly underneath it, but as the barge becomes lighter while refuelling, it is necessary to at least move it a meter to the side to clear the door. The noise of the enormous door and barge getting wrecked combined with another screaming Engineer still haunts me in my dreams. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:rofl: Do you work at the harbour?

I am a plain landlubber here. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Looking at the amount of carbon coming out of the flagship, we are going to have to rename the White Cliffs of Dover.

N.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: