Search Better Shuttle Launch Pad?

skyballer455

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am looking for a better looking shuttle launch pad for use in my Fictional Space Shuttle Program (FSSP). The one that ships with the sim is terrible. I was wondering if one is available.

Thank you!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Or use SSU... installing it is currently pretty hard, but I am confident that there will be a simpler installer soon... and it has the magnifiscent launch complex 39 made by DaveS.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
and it has the magnifiscent launch complex 39 made by DaveS.

Could that be released as a separate mesh/addon?

I'm sure that there are many who would appreciate it as a standalone addon as they may not be seeking the complexity of the full-blown SSU.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I'm sure that there are many who would appreciate it as a standalone addon as they may not be seeking the complexity of the full-blown SSU.

Not without some small refactoring, it communicates with the rest of the add-on. We plan getting a bit more general purpose there in the Ultra context, since the launch complex should later also work with Shuttle derived spacecraft, but that isn't urgent now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

The main problem I have with this is that SSU LC-39/SLC-6 relies on attachment points to hold the shuttle to the MLP at the correct height so that the various swing arms line up properly.

But other add-ons, even the default Atlantis, relies on fixed Touchdown Points (TDPs) to set the height above ground. This makes them either sit inside the pad or above it, making the swing arms not align properly.

I guess the SSU LC-39/SLC-6 could be released as a stand-alone add-on if the above problem is acceptable.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
But other add-ons, even the default Atlantis, relies on fixed Touchdown Points (TDPs) to set the height above ground. This makes them either sit inside the pad or above it, making the swing arms not align properly.

I guess the SSU LC-39/SLC-6 could be released as a stand-alone add-on if the above problem is acceptable.
The above can be resolved by changing the touchdown points of said vessels by a simple plug-in module (unless they are set by the vessel in every time step).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The above can be resolved by changing the touchdown points of said vessels by a simple plug-in module (unless they are set by the vessel in every time step).

You could also just add an attachment point to every vessel for the alignment with the MLP... it just doesn't work well for Shuttle Fleet.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Exactly which file/s would one need to copy from the Beta to replace the originals?

Well, the files to copy aren't actually replacing the original mesh files, but they are new, with appropriate modification to the Config/Earth/Base/Canaveral.cfg (mesh names are highlighted):
Code:
;MESH ; Pad 39B tower
;	FILE KSC_3
;	POS -11830 0 5280
;	ROT 178
;	TEX Cape18
;	SHADOW
;	PRELOAD
;END
;MESH ; Pad 39B base
;	FILE KSC_4
;	POS -11830 0 5280