Biggest Scale Model Rocket Ever Built!

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Found this linked over at OhGizmo!

OhGizmo! » Archive » Largest Model Rocket In History Is 36 Feet Tall, Weighs Over 1,600 Pounds
You can look all you want, but I promise you you’re not going to find this model Saturn V rocket in the Estes catalog. That’s because it was custom designed and built by Steve Eves who hopes to enter the record books for flying the largest model rocket in history. At 36+ feet tall and weighing in at over 1,600 pounds, the mini-Saturn V is powered by nine rocket motors including 8 13,000ns N-Class motors and a single 77,000ns P-Class motor. When I messed around with model rockets as a kid, the largest motors I could get my hands on were D-sized, and I always wondered just how high in the alphabet rocket motors actually went.
The single stage flight should reach an altitude somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 feet, and at apogee the rocket will separate into three parts and return to Earth via the assistance of various parachutes. In the end Eves estimates he’s invested about 1,500 hours into the project with a total budget of around $25,000, though that will actually be covered by various sponsors come the April 25th launch event. (Weather permitting.)

model_rocket1.jpg

One man's quest to honor America's Saturn V rocket - Rocketry Planet

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:speakcool:
How does it compare to this?:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20"]YouTube - Top Gear - Reliant Robin space shuttle - Richard Hammond and James May - BBC[/nomedia]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All that and it's only single stage? $25,000 smackeroos? Wow, I'm glad I never took up the hobby! For that kind of cash might as well get into amateur rocketry and start building sounding rockets.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hopefully, it becomes the biggest scale model rocket ever successfully flown.;)

Would be a terrible shame if it undergoes a "CATO". Stay tuned sports fans.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great Cracker! This baby is huge.... It will either be a spectacular success or failure. Talk about a hobby addiction!

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Man did that baby go! WOW!

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This has got me thinking... if this thing was 1600 lbs, with a few modification you could actually launch a person in this thing 3000 to 4000 feet.

Anariaq

Reaction score

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since the Top Gear shuttle was rigged to crash, they got the result they were going for. Why would they do it again? ;)

The explosion was photoshopped in, though. At least they didn't put explosives on it. *coughBraniacAlkaliMetalscough*

Anariaq

Reaction score
Since the Top Gear shuttle was rigged to crash, they got the result they were going for. Why would they do it again? ;)

The explosion was photoshopped in, though. At least they didn't put explosives on it. *coughBraniacAlkaliMetalscough*

Ah now I remember where I have seen him before :)
allthough think its after effect not photoshopped... anyway still the same.
And why do it again? well for an another crash right? ;)

Anariaq

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah now I remember where I have seen him before :)
allthough think its after effect not photoshopped... anyway still the same.
And why do it again? well for an another crash right? ;)

Anariaq
The giant explosion they show was not from the reliant robin crashing into the ground. If you watch it in slow motion, it was clearly edited in.

EJ316

Reaction score
That was awesome! Expensive hobby though :/