Question Biking through the Winter

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Its coming to winter, so bikers around the world (the northern hemisphere that feels winter at least) will be preparing their machines and themselves for the colder weather, and of course the rain that falls to no end. currently, it is raining outside my house, and has been for 3 days straight

yamaha_ybr125_2011_1_lgw.jpg

*not my bike, just a picture of the same model/colour

my bike, just a little YBR 125 flies through the cold like its any other day, but the lump of meat hanging on is having a little more trouble.

a common bikers' ideology is that even the best waterproofs can only keep you dry for so long in the wet stuff. when my new £100 gloves arrive, i will have spend £340 on motorbike clothing alone, and still im getting cold and wet on the commute to work and university (25 and 45 minutes respectively)

my main problem at the moment are my extremities: hands and feet
my old, soon-to-be-superseded gloves simply dont keep the rain out for more than 15 minutes, then once the water is in, the waterproofing fights to keep the cold stuff in there, so my fingers are numb, and since my clutch lever is in my hand (and requires quite some dexterity to move through slow traffic), i start to become a bad biker :(

on the contrary, my boots are rather high-spec compared to the rest of my gear. the problem here is just that my trousers have to be up high to prevent the wind blowing rain under my jacket and into my clothes, which then filters down my legs, and after 40 minutes, into my boots anyway, and again, these don't dry out easily

are there any other bikers around here? got any tips for a freezing-numb newbie? im looking for some VERY long trousers, that can sit well above my waits to protect my stomach from the driven rain, and long enough to cover my boots, well enough that i can still flex for the gear shifter without letting the rain in (since the YBR holds the feet forward, the lower leg is almost parallel to the road, so even the slightest opening is enough for the spray from the front tyre to get into your jeans and socks

thanks for any help you guys might have (if there are any bikers here that is)