Hardware Building a simple simpit

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hello Everyone.
I have decided to build a small simpit.
I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, and plan on getting a couple of monitors for mfds.
I plan on using a table and cardboard/wood for the panels. I don't plan on getting switches, just mfds and speakers for the sounds.
Does anyone know a) How one can turn a monitor into MFD (I know there is external MFD, but don't know how I will use it. I would appreciate side buttons, but touchscreen is okay too)
b) Has someone else also done a similar simple simpit?
Thanks,
Krishnan

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Is a mechanism to press the actual touchscreen buttons that is connected to a physical button viable?

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
How one can turn a monitor into MFD
Umm... Yeah. About that, MFDs are a real can of worms. This is definitely going to be the hardest part. You might try taking a look at this thread.

Building wood panels to hold the monitor(s) should be easy.

As far as sound, I would recommend 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, IIRC OrbiterSound supports this and it should really add to the effect (if you fire an RCS jet on the left side of your spacecraft, you will hear it on your left.)

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
Check out this. Allows you to map sliders on your joystick to a bunch of stuff.
Fly-By-Wire

This one might be helpful, but beware it is not on orbithangar, and there are a bunch of ads on this site, be careful where you click! This lets you assign keyboard keys to buttons on your joystick.
JoyToKey

Last edited: