Flight Question Burning up?

UntilItSleeps

Reaction score
I've seen around the thread that some people complain they burn up on reentry? But what exactly is this? Is this the flames that are generated upon reentry, or are people's ships actually breaking apart?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some ships have damage models, that permit simulating breaking up: The DGIV and the DG-XR series for example. The Shuttle A-2 also has it, despite being a tad bit older.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The stock Delta Glider also has a limited damage model, which does not model heat damage but will model damage due to excessive wing-loading.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some ships do have damage models, as mentioned, but most of the time we're just imagining ourselves blowing up during failed reentries...Most ships will survive hitting Jupiter's atmosphere at a good chunk of C (I remember reading a post about it somewhere, probably in the disaster thread :lol:), or hitting a docking port at 2 or 3 m/s, or landing at ungodly velocities, but for the sake of realism we pretend we've killed ourselves. :salute:

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Generally people are talking about the DGIV or XR Series.

There are also a few modules that allow any ship to be destroyed through rentry/crashing/aerodynamic stress/sudden acceleration.

The most recent one I know of is Universal Breakup. There are some slight problems with the general "everything can die" modules that stem from either conflict with other modules or lead to unexpected behavior like things dying when they shouldn't.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5496

It doesn't seem to be available anymore, but where there's a will there's a way.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
shoot, AMSO models being killed by all sorts of stuff. i can't count the times i've been ushered off into space by that statue. usually if i "die" in a regular nondamage vehicle, i think to myself "oops...that would have been it right there" and then depending on the magnitude of the mistake i either keep going despite or quit. sometimes if i'm trying to land somewhere and run out of fuel, i'll consider that try a "failure" and then refuel with the editor and continue so i at least get the practice in so i don't have to do the entire procedure leading up to my failure.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

though i think the most depressing one is using up fuel on an escape trajectory and thinking about how much of a one way uneventful lonely death that would be.