Calculation of Mean anomaly

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
I'm trying to calculate Mean anomaly which appears in my textbook but I can't get correct answer.

semi major axis a = 26552.305 km
eccentricity e = 0.747411
mean anomaly at epoch M_0 = 24.70°
inclination i = 63.96°
longitude of ascending node Ω = 33.79°
argument of periapsis ω = 243.99°
t – t_0 = 4707393.045 sec

DeEyrgJ.png

Mean anomaly I get from above equation is M = 711.6°

eccentric anomaly E is shown in the textbook.
E = 157.69°
therefore, required mean anomaly should be M = 141.4°

Can someone tell me where I went wrong? I'm not a student, I have no one to ask math questions...
Thanks in advance.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Your formula is correct, if that relieves you a bit. Its mean motion ([math]\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{a^3}}[/math]) multiplied by time passed since reference ([math]t-t_0[/math]) shifted by the reference mean anomaly [math]M_0[/math]
Well, you know how the mean anomaly is defined geometrically? Maybe it helps remember that the mean anomaly maps your real elliptic orbit on a perfect circular orbit that has the same orbit period.

Eccentric anomaly on the other hand is the angle to a virtual point that is created by taking your elliptic orbit and stretching it into a circle.

I also get completely different numbers than you do with the same input numbers, which leads me to the conclusion that [math]t-t_0[/math] is not the time of E. I even get different numbers if I "forget" converting the angles into radians.

My results so far:

M from time|351.6°
M from E|157.41°

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I get M = 141.4 deg with the OP's equation (assuming mu is for Earth, which wasn't actually specified). :cheers:
All is well ...

Edit: well, actually M = 3.9381e+04 deg which might matter if you need to count orbits ...

Edit2: As an attempt at a postmortem, I *do* get 711.6 if if forget a set of brackets and only convert the second term to degrees:

sqrt(mu/a^3)*(t-t0) + M0/RAD = 711.6 (deg? rad?)

Is that what happened?

Edit3: Sorry, the above was assuming that M0 had been converted to radians to start with. So maybe all that happened was that you forgot that the first term gives a result in radians, not degrees.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Your formula is correct, if that relieves you a bit. Its mean motion ([math]\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{a^3}}[/math]) multiplied by time passed since reference ([math]t-t_0[/math]) shifted by the reference mean anomaly [math]M_0[/math]

Thank you. Actually my textbook says [math]\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{\mu}}[/math]. It took me a day to realize it was a typo.

So maybe all that happened was that you forgot that the first term gives a result in radians, not degrees.

Thank you! That was what actually happened to me. Now I got the correct answer.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Using degrees as angular units sometimes makes for easier human reading, but is useless for any trigonometric calculations. To avoid confusion, I'd recommend to

- convert all input angular data to radians (or angular velocities to radians/s, etc.)
- perform your calculations
- as an optional final flourish, convert results back to degrees for presentation

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Edit3: Sorry, the above was assuming that M0 had been converted to radians to start with. So maybe all that happened was that you forgot that the first term gives a result in radians, not degrees.

One reason more for getting a Matlab license at work instead of using Excel for this. :facepalm: