Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Exciting times, forum folks!

Right, sorry, what's this about?

For a multitude of reasons, I and the other forum staff have been weighing up the systems we run the board on and, in particular, the update from vBulletin 3, which has served us well for many years, to the newest offering, vBulletin 5. This is not a decision we've taken lightly, or without strong consideration of the work and the impact of such a change involved, and I'm happy to share with you all the reasons we've decided to go this way - but that isn't what this post is about.

It's not? Then what are you shouting about?

One of the main issues we have with vBulletin 5 right now is the lack of custom styles for it. On our live board, we have the benefit of a broad selection of styles to suit many different eyeballs. On the new vBulletin 5 test board, we have... well, the default, mainly. I have started to lay out the base of a darker theme based on the "Orbiter" theme in the live forum, but I'm a sysadmin and a backend developer.

What we need is skilled hands, ideally people who have made vBulletin styles before - maybe even styles for vBulletin 5 - but anyone with sufficient creativity to help us adapt a subset of the styles we have available in the current forum to vBulletin 5.

But I'm really attached to ${STYLE}. What about that one!?

We'll publish a list of the styles, or their equivalents, when we know what will and won't carry over to the new board, as part of the actual announcement of the move. If your favourite style doesn't exist in the new forum, you'll have to select another one after the migration.

What styles we can and can't move will be down to the capabilities of the people migrating them across. Just because your favourite style isn't available from day 0 of the move doesn't mean it never will be, equally.

I'm a really skilled individual with a certain set of skills, what's in it for me?

Cookies! No. Well, maybe. Those gracious individuals prepared to contribute their time and effort will be rewarded with a GFX Staff badge, which conveys certain privileges and marks you out as someone who has helped with the forum in this capacity.

I don't know if I can actually send cookies to people, other than the ones the forum normally sends, but it's worth a try!

You've convinced me. Where do I sign?

Just here, on this dotted line, in your own blood er... If you're interested in contributing to the forum migration in this way, reply below and we'll reach out to you to discuss the plans further. Please do be prepared to demonstrate some aptitude for this sort of work.

Thanks, and :hailprobe:!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Update: This request is still very much active - as of yet I've had no takers, but our need is very much still alive.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have no idea what exactly is needed here. I guess I have enough PHP experience, but i'm not sure whether that is what it needs.
Can you give an example of what migration needs to be done?
Is there a "playground" where I could test my skills?
The unknowns are what kept me from volunteering ;)

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I have no idea what exactly is needed here. I guess I have enough PHP experience, but i'm not sure whether that is what it needs.
Can you give an example of what migration needs to be done?
Is there a "playground" where I could test my skills?
The unknowns are what kept me from volunteering ;)

Well, I don't know exactly, because I can't do it myself. It's more about frontend design, I suppose, though some PHP knowledge will certainly be helpful as the system fetches data from the phrase system - I can't give a masterclass in something I can't do!

There is a test board, yes. I need to run some fixes over it, and then I can sort out access to it, so you can try your luck, if you like.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I can't give a masterclass in something I can't do!
WHAT?! Not even YOU? :p

There is a test board, yes. I need to run some fixes over it, and then I can sort out access to it, so you can try your luck, if you like.
A test board to check whether I can help is great! Take your time and do your stuff. I suppose we should wait until after the migration of Wednesday anyway.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
WHAT?! Not even YOU? :p

A test board to check whether I can help is great! Take your time and do your stuff. I suppose we should wait until after the migration of Wednesday anyway.

As promised, a VB5 copy of the forum (from a relatively old backup, but I'm not doing that migration again until I have to):

https://vb5-forum.orbiter-radio.co.uk/index.php

You can log in there with your current credentials for here - it's a restored backup, in essence. There is a start point for a style based on the "Orbiter" style in the VB3 board, but that's all it is - a start.

Those interested in assisting with style development are welcome - I will increase your permissions on the test board so you can see the administrative styling interface.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Xyon,
but it#s currently too hot to do anything more advanced than breathing ;)
I'll take a shot next week.

Darrell Huffman

Reaction score
Has anyone taken up the offer as of yet? If not, I would be happy to take on this task. Is there a design for the board that you have in mind, Xyon?

Oh, and hi everyone. I'm Darrell, a software developer with a strong interest in all things space.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Has anyone taken up the offer as of yet? If not, I would be happy to take on this task. Is there a design for the board that you have in mind, Xyon?

Oh, and hi everyone. I'm Darrell, a software developer with a strong interest in all things space.

Well, not as such, no. I will admit I don't find a lot wrong with the forum's current styles, so, I guess they're a good start point even if they are perhaps a little dated - they're fit for purpose, clearly, and have served us quite well thus far.