General Question Celestial body creation in Orbiter 2016

clipper

Reaction score
A while back I created a planet for Orbiter 2010 for my personal usage in .tex format using a simple config file and the provided utilities, and now I'm attempting to use the said planet in Orbiter 2016.

It worked pretty well but I've noticed an issue on how the planet appears from distance; namely, it appears somewhat blocky and similar to how all planets appeared back in 2010. After some digging I realized that there are some default planets and moons in 2016 that appear in a similar manner, namely Neptune and its moons. Eventually I realized that all bodies which appear like that are in .tex format and lack the TileFormat = 2 entry in the config files, whereas the others are in the .tree format and contain that entry.

My question now is if this is really due to the texture format, and if so, whether there is a feasible way to convert .tex format into .tree or at least generate a .tree file from a BMP image. Note that I am not interested in elevation and I'm only interested in a surface texture. Please excuse my ignorance as I'm really not familiar with .tree format at all and I can't seem to find much documentation as the provided API Guide still deals with the old .tex format. In case you're not familiar with this issue, I'm leaving a screenshot comparing Europa (.tree format) and Triton (.tex format) from roughly the same distance.

Planet-Comparison.png

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
treeman has a conversion feature (-t, check CLI help page), but it only works up to (old) level 8.