Centrifugal propulsion

steph

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about how viable would be form of propulsion that throws the propellant centrifugally. Maybe in combination with some form of chemical, (centrifugal pulse jet?). Given that technology such as car injectors routinely work at millisecond intervals, I believe that a quite high rpm could be reached without misfiring or something like that.
I think most problematic would be fuel delivery, unless you make something so energy efficient that you could rotate both the fuel source and the engine.
I tried to google this, but I didn't get any useful results. Maybe I was searching for the wrong terms.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Can you describe the system better? I'm confused what role the spinning plays. At first I just imagined a pinwheel firework, and decided that I can't picture what you're talking abou

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For me it sounds like the way how rotating satellites are kept in their Orbit, by firing a thruster in pulses, when the thruster points in the right direction.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've a feeling the most problematic bit would be the excess of moving parts required for such a setup, and imperfect seals on propellant connections. Rocket engines lack the stability of internal combustion engines, and really balance on a knife-edge of propellant/oxidiser flow rate and internal pressure. I'm assuming that the propellant tank's axis of rotation is perpendicular to the thrust vector of the engine. Such a setup would be, I think, unviable.

steph

Reaction score
For me it sounds like the way how rotating satellites are kept in their Orbit, by firing a thruster in pulses, when the thruster points in the right direction.

Exactly like that. I was thinking that if you get to high enough rpm, the impulse from the centrifugal force alone would make up a big part of the thrust.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Exactly like that. I was thinking that if you get to high enough rpm, the impulse from the centrifugal force alone would make up a big part of the thrust.

Not really, but you can get a small amount of thrust. Remember, that conservation of impulse still applies.