Scenario change size of asteroid

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I was trying to change the size of the dockable asteroid 2008EA9 into a doomsday sized asteroid.

I changed the vessel config value where it says:size:5

Nothing happens to it whatever the number here is. This was the only way I knew how to do this, any hints or suggestions? Is it impossible without altering the mesh or other other non-text/scenario/config files?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think SCALE is what you're looking for. It's in the manual.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
hmmm... well i looked over the docs, i think scale applies to planetary bodies right? well this particular asteroid is a vessel that looks like a big rock with docks on it, so it can't be edited like a planet...

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In Orbitersdk\Utils you can find the "Shipedit.exe". In that program you can re-size and edit your mesh, no matter if it's a mesh for a planet, moon, asteroid or spacecraft.

The "size" parameter in the config file is probably only for proper sizing of re-entry flames and such things.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The "size" parameter in the config file is probably only for proper sizing of re-entry flames and such things.

Size parameter also affects visibility distance. It's intended to be the mean radius of the vessel.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
ALRIGHT EARTH ITS ON NOW YOU DIE!!!

(unless i can successfully launch a space tug that reroutes mega-2008EA9's course a safe distance from the planet)

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
okay :idk:

So i have my mini doom asteroid on a very nice collision course with Earth.

Here is the problem:

no matter what i do, it's not on the selectable ships list. i even duplicated it, deleted the first asteroid, and the second one is not on the list.

Then, oddly (or perhaps not oddly), if i time accelerate the asteroid will miss the Earth. HOWEVER if i have something docked to it, it will hit exactly as planned. I also know that when i built it yesterday, it was able to be selectable and it would hit the Earth with no vessels docked???

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

it seems to have something to do with the changes i made to the mesh, i guess. now the vessel is not selectable in any scenarios.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

:facepalm:

well i figured it out. the focus property was set to FALSE

for the record, it seems as though having the focus property set to false makes the vessel in question have a less accurate trajectory on high acceleration over long periods of time. setting it to true seems to get direct hits on the Earth every time, setting it to false makes big misses every time.