General Question CIGI ?

aSIM

Reaction score
Could Orbiter be made CIGI compatible?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

aSIM

Reaction score
it's not so much aircraft specific, although it is used mostly with aviation simulation. It can be adapted to any form of simulation or vehicle if that model is ported into the CIGI software. It is however used for creating imagery or the out-of-cockpit view, the world view from a simulated environment/vehicle. But the software needs to be compatible with CIGI standards. I wonder if that's something that could be achieved with Orbiter? Or what it would cost $ to achieve that? doing so would definitely open up some very interesting avenues. And if Martin's original motivation for this platform was to inspire, it could definitely be put to good use.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
it's not so much aircraft specific, although it is used mostly with aviation simulation. It can be adapted to any form of simulation or vehicle if that model is ported into the CIGI software. It is however used for creating imagery or the out-of-cockpit view, the world view from a simulated environment/vehicle. But the software needs to be compatible with CIGI standards. I wonder if that's something that could be achieved with Orbiter? Or what it would cost $ to achieve that? doing so would definitely open up some very interesting avenues. And if Martin's original motivation for this platform was to inspire, it could definitely be put to good use.

I doubt its a financial problem, it is just that we would need to support many more standards for it, that we currently don't.

Maybe, a prototype CIGI visualization client could work, that simply outputs the simulation state to a CIGI image generator. But even that would for example require translating the orbiter meshes and visuals into the SimObject standard. But it would maybe work without messing with Orbiters architecture.

And first problem of all: I have no such image generator around to even imagine how I could test this.

Second problem I foresee: This image generator won't work on any other planet except Earth. There is no Mars data for them, no lunar definition. Possibly it won't even like vehicles flying higher than typical airliner territory, because the renderer was never meant to render Earth from space.

Third: I only spent a limited number of seconds on this, but I didn't find any publicly available definition of this standard. Maybe the Sourceforge link to it contains more information. Working with a older version or incomplete information about the standard is possible but could lead to annoying incompatibilities and make testing much harder than needed.

So, from my perspective, unless you now say something really smart and enlightening, its currently impossible to realize.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Bohemian Interactive was also behind "Take on Mars", if I remember correctly.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
This image generator won't work on any other planet except Earth. There is no Mars data for them, no lunar definition. Possibly it won't even like vehicles flying higher than typical airliner territory, because the renderer was never meant to render Earth from space.
In other words, CIGI is good for LEO missions like Gemini, Mercury, Shuttle but bad for BLEO missions like Apollo and Artemis.