Gaming Cities: Skylines

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which is why GTA:Sao Paulo is computationally impossible. There are just too many agents to move around. Alternatively though, they could just model the cars as static scenery really... It would effectively work out the same. :hotcool:

Impossible is a challenge, not a law. :lol: I am actually pretty sure, if you use some good ideas from quantum physics, it could work out well ... like, only really establishing the position of an agent, when a player can see him.

(I am pretty sure, this idea is so old, GTA already does that)

In this case - all your agents in GTA:Sao Paulo move at infinitesimal speeds towards their target, but where they actually are, you can only see when you look for them...

HarvesteR

Reaction score
where they actually are, you can only see when you look for them...

That's essentially how procedural terrain works. There is an abstract, numerical noise field, which can be sampled at any coordinate. When the player approaches it, you generate terrain where it would be visible by sampling the terrain values for each vertex position on the terrain mesh.

That's possibly not enough info to model an actual agent, because agents by definition have states that need to persist as the simulation moves on, but in this case, they're hardly (if ever) moving, so might as well model them using a static density map. :lol:

Which, incidentally, is what traffic in my latest city in C:S is looking like.. I need to put down some subway lines.

Cheers

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's essentially how procedural terrain works. There is an abstract, numerical noise field, which can be sampled at any coordinate. When the player approaches it, you generate terrain where it would be visible by sampling the terrain values for each vertex position on the terrain mesh.

Yeah, for less geographic entities, you could of course also define probability clouds, which don't need to updated every time step. Should be hard to tell then that something was not exactly propagated every time step.

I remember that some large scale military simulations operate by an algorithm like that.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
If anyone is interested in grabbing Cities: Skylines on sale, it's 80% off on Steam right now for the next 45 hours or so. ?