Close Call!

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
*wipes sweat off forehead*
So, I downloaded the XR2 Ravenstar, and started messing around with it. Good Ship. After docking with ISS, I decided to de-orbit with it. Went to BaseSyncMFD, got that all checked out. AeroBrakeMFD, all good to go. Undocked, lined up no problem at all. De-orbit went pretty well, but I messed up somewhere and was 100km from the Cape with 6% SCRAM fuel remaining...not to bad. I tried using it...did'nt work to well. Then I get a warning: Coolant temperature. Oops, i guess I closed my Radiator a little bit to early while in orbit...

I am gliding towards the cape, basically staring at my Coolant temperature. Then, 200m above the ground (fortunately i got my gear and airbrake down before then), my systems over-heated. BAM, lost all HUD, MFD...CRAP! Fortunatly, those warning calls actually came to good use. 75m above the ground, I pitched the nose up, and smacked into the ground. The gear were destroyed, but after that adventure...i'm glad i just survived.

Moral of the story: Dont close your radiator until you are just about to touch the atmosphere (I made a mistake and closed it just after undocking from ISS)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, some design. If you do your deorbit burn and then the radiator jams just before entry interface, I guess you're hosed. The Space Shuttle always closes its radiator and payload bay doors before doing the deorbit burn to avoid such a nightmare. Guess it doesn't run so hot..

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
the radiator jams/can jam?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
They can fail if they don't close before you reach the dynamic pressure limit.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the radiator jams/can jam?

I don't know if that's simulated or not, but in real life you have to think about such things in order to fly safely. So a realistic Orbiter checklist would have such considerations built into it, even if it's not modeled.

wolfast

Fear is the Mind Killer
Reaction score
My first landing with this ship was the same.. I closed the radiator just after undock.... and while just outside of the Cape.... Overheat.... real fun!!!!

good landing at KSC and it was COOL

:speakcool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wow, some design. If you do your deorbit burn and then the radiator jams just before entry interface, I guess you're hosed. The Space Shuttle always closes its radiator and payload bay doors before doing the deorbit burn to avoid such a nightmare. Guess it doesn't run so hot..

The Shuttle also is pretty different as you have cold-soaking of the thermal control loops (cooling to minimum temperature) before entry and alternative cooling systems, like the Flash Evaporator and the Water Spray Boilers, which work until you reach lower altitudes.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The shuttle also closes its radiators an hour or two before deorbit and not right after undocking

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The shuttle also closes its radiators an hour or two before deorbit and not right after undocking

Minor detail. :lol:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Minor detail. :lol:

Its the minor details that take you from a successful flight to sitting on the ground with the wreckage of your ship all around you going WTF?! :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its the minor details that take you from a successful flight to sitting on the ground with the wreckage of your ship all around you going WTF?! :p

Any landing is a good landing, if you can still walk away from your plane. ;)

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urwumpe
Any landing is a good landing, if you can still walk away from your plane. ;)
And a great landing is one where you can reuse it......

Wow, great standards there! :p

Tommy

Reaction score
The XR-2's radiator can withstand up to 16 kpa of dynamic pressure. You'ld be supprised how far into the entry you can go. I usually close mine at 70k, but you can go lower than that if your slope is low enough and you're losing speed well enough.