Gaming Cold Waters: The Cold War Just Got Colder

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heya guys,

I know some of you have expressed some desire to play submarine games, and multiple users have reflected on their time in the Silent Hunter series. A new Cold War submarine game pulled out of dry dock today.

Perhaps in the spirit of Dangerous Waters, this game gives priority to a Captain's role. Less emphasis is placed on individual, simulated stations in favor of a less-technically involved, more fluid, arcade-but-not gameplay. Tactical performance is the main objective, and strategic processing of information is your goal.

At least, that's what I've been told. The secrets under the sea are yours to discover.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/541210/Cold_Waters/

It's current price is $40 on Steam.

Code:
Major Features:
- Real-time naval combat
- Over 40 classes of ships and submarines all meticulously researched
- Dynamic Campaign where your performance matters
- Realistic sonar model
- Authentic Soviet combat tactics

Code:
Recommended System Specs:

Processor: Core i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 4 GB available space

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I loved Silent Hunter series.

Thanks for the tip.

With all military vehicle simulations, I find the time period between WWII and "modern" to be a bit underrepresented, and I find it interesting when that gets filled.

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It has mixed reviews so far, some hybrid of Fleet Command and Dangerous Waters. Not being able to give direct orders for navigating the ship and having to finetune it yourself seems very odd.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
FPSchazly, a subsimmer and YouTuber, streamed some gameplay of Cold Waters on Twitch. Here's the recording for anyone interested in seeing some reaction from a Dangerous Waters player's perspective. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149812645 EDIT: on YT now:

He plans to stream a series of videos showcasing the game: as for the content, I can only assume the campaign and other gameplay elements.

Thanks for posting this. It has mixed reviews so far, some hybrid of Fleet Command and Dangerous Waters. Not being able to give direct orders for navigating the ship and having to finetune it yourself seems very odd.

Not a problem!

Yes, that is a good way to describe the game. That's definitely the more arcade-ey feel to it. I think the goal was to create a game both realistic and challenging, but also for the player who wants to deal with the big picture tactically. Sort of like a macromanagement game.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I loved Silent Hunter series.

Thanks for the tip.

With all military vehicle simulations, I find the time period between WWII and "modern" to be a bit underrepresented, and I find it interesting when that gets filled.

I always thought a combat flight sim set in the late 50s to early 60s would be awesome.