Project Collins Lunar Station Development Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Let's continue discussion of Sorindafabico's proposed Lunar space station here.

First, what do you guys think of the name?

Second, I'm going to get to work on that cargo module mesh as soon as I can;)

Ark

Reaction score
Careful, Aldrin is still alive and can still knock you out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Careful, Aldrin is still alive and can still knock you out.

We just put him on an Aldrin cycler, should give us some years to finish the bases before he returns.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, I have installed Blender and started on that cargo module. I'm modeling it after the SSBB module BM101. The main body is 9 meters long and 4.5 meters wide. The next step will be to model the cargo holds themselves. From measurements taken in test runs, a typical blue UCGO cargo box is 1.5 meters on a side. The module will have 20 cargo slots on the outside, in two rows of ten. This results in a lattice roughly 16 meters long and 3.5 meters wide.

Will continue posting as more info becomes available:)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
A slight correction there. The UCGO cargo boxes are cubes with exactly 1.3 meters sides.
Ofcourse, nothing is stopping you from making yours larger, but if you want compatibility with existing UCGO cargo boxes, then go for 1.3x1.3x1.3 size.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Ack:facepalm:
I just realized that in a 2x10 configuration, the cargo hold would be longer than the module:(

A 4x5 setup would be better. That would cover between 5 and 6 meters in length out the 9 available. And the 5 rows would cover about 7 meters out of an available 14 meters of circumference. That would produce a cargo section that would look like a smaller version of the Arrow's hold:)

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

A slight correction there. The UCGO cargo boxes are cubes with exactly 1.3 meters sides.
Ofcourse, nothing is stopping you from making yours larger, but if you want compatibility with existing UCGO cargo boxes, then go for 1.3x1.3x1.3 size.
You're right:yes: It's a difference of about 6-7 inches, but that can make a big difference in an operation like this.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I am bad at modeling, I can help you in the cfg/ini/dll ... I know BLender well too (more for rendering, but that's okay)

sorindafabico

Reaction score
It was intended for tmac, but i'll appreciate any screenshots from anyone when possible!

Just keep in mind that the modules must fit in the XR5 bay, or we'll have to use Energia ;)

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Great! Can you post a screenshot? :)
Here's what I have so far--no cargo rack yet, but I'll be starting on that soon:)
picture.php

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Are you intending to make it pressurized/pressurizable? If not, the "skeleton" of the module can be smaller, more a rack than a cylinder.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Pretty basic shape, I like it :thumbup:
But I agree with sonrindafabico, needs to be smaller.