Rant Comic Sans abuse

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I've noticed that the font Comic Sans is overused in pretty much everything. I've seen it used on posters, logos, and, most notably, my science teacher seems to be in love with it. :lol:

Example:

Unlike all previously discussed chemical reactions, radioactivity sometimes results in the formation of completely new atoms

• Radioactivity results from having an unstable nucleus

• Radioactive decay releases energy from the nucleus as radiation

How am I supposed to take something seriously when it makes me feel like I'm in grade 2? Has anyone else seen any other gratuitous abuse of Comic Sans?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't understand the comic sans joke. But in any case, before this thread gets rolling, there is, or was, a website out there called "bancomicsans" dot org or dot com, which was a known virus-spreading site.

So if you're thinking of posting a link to it here, please don't. Someone did back on M6 and it caused an uproar leading to an apology, IIRC.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I too saw it a lot back in high school, and college, in teacher-made science learning material. It annoyed the crap out of me, no end.

I also see it a lot in fly posters and those adverts people put in shop windows. Seriously, Arial or even the godawful Times New Roman would be better.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Leave it to our graphics team to rant about fonts. :)

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I think they do it to "humanize" their writing (which is a mistake). There are only so many fonts that are installed with an OS. Some people have a tendancy to want to use any font that looks as close as possible to hand-writing. Personally, I think Comic Sans is an ugly font. Picking fonts arbitrarily is a bad move. There are some very clear design rules when it comes to production art and people might do good to read up on them. People need to realize who thier intended audience is and what they are trying to get across to that audience. Imagine people using Comic Sans on a resume...throw in pink perfumed paper as a bonus. *chuckle*

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could be worse, you could be stuck with Calibri, which is apparently M$ Word's newest default font. I'll use it for informal documents, but nothing serious. As for my resume, I use TNR: it's generic, well-known, and fairly serious.

Unstung

Reaction score
Comic Sans and Papyrus are both terrible, brotha.:cheers:
Look what I found in Wikipedia about Papyrus:
As has been the case with Comic Sans, Papyrus is often criticized by graphic designers and others for being overused or used incorrectly in various media. Interviewed in 2007, the typeface's creator, Chris Costello, agreed that Papyrus had become overused.
:lol:
And, Comic Sans:
The font's widespread use, often in situations for which it was not intended, has been criticized.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Is this line in any way
different from this and next one,
and, which of them is Comic Sans?

In other words, do you really can tell the difference?
Or, did i miss some sort of a joke here?

Vanguard

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While this thread may help you feel better about the fact that there are other "just like you" out there, it's over use would suggest it's generally accepted as a nice font ;) The graphic designers aren't complaining of its looks, just over use and incorrect use.

If you think that font's bad... I know this guy, and unbelievably, the most entertaining thing he had to do on a Friday night was rant about a font. Yikes...

Oh, and it's 3:30am here for the wisenuts about to start about the guy who had nothing better to do than reply ;p

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
How am I supposed to take something seriously when it makes me feel like I'm in grade 2?

You made me remember a teacher of mine...:rolleyes:

Everybody loves Comic Sans, somehow!

In my opinion, going all around the list of fonts to find the right one is tedious and slightly counter-productive, it's great when you remember a set of three or five that could be used generally. Then there's the problem that most people are ignorant about design.

And, to end my reply, about Calibri: there's a blog which the owner posts stories of other people (like me and a friend of mine) that uses Calibri. ;)

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm a Comic Sans fan!

I think it's cute.

Also note that my 8th grade Physical Science teacher sometimes uses the font. I use it in typed assignments. And Arial is the ugly font here.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Is this line in any way
different from this and next one,
and, which of them is Comic Sans?

In other words, do you really can tell the difference?
Or, did i miss some sort of a joke here?

The middle one is Comic Sans. And yes, I can tell the difference. Alright, when I hit quote it brought up the BBcode for the post, which confirmed that the top and bottom lines were Arial, which was what I thought...

Edit: Pipcard... wow that's bright. I'm used to a much, much darker desktop than that.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alright, when I hit quote it brought up the BBcodefor the post, which confirmed that the top and bottom lines were Arial, which was what I thought...
Third line was Verdana.
Now, if no one can tell the difference, what's all that fuss is about?