Commencement.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know:

I did my formal commencement ceremony tonight; I'm officially a graduate. :woohoo:

Thanks everybody for helping out in your own way in the last two years. It was hell at times, but it was so worth it!

:tiphat:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Hey! Congratulations Scav!!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Congrats! Don't forget to hail the probe!

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Good job scav! Even more time to write! :p

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
. . . aaaaaand it's pretty much time to say goodbye for the immediate future. :mad:

I am typing to you all through a free public wifi hotspot (that is ridiculously slow) due to the fact I've lost my internet connection at home. Moreover, I am losing my flat and am being forced to relocate by the middle of next month to avoid an eviction. I've ran out of time and can economize no longer while looking for the golden ticket any fleepin' job out there that pertains to my skill set. I can't afford to work for who I'm working for anymore, and the least expensive place I can find to live is more than 30 kilometers away. I certainly can't afford the gas to commute and there are no rapid transit options where I live.

I am also still having zero luck finding work in the IT field as well. I am about to write off the whole college experience and the last five years of job searching as a colossal charlie foxtrot. I have heard nothing but puppy farts and sunshine from college employment advisers, and nothing but lies and bovine excretia from staffing agencies, hiring managers, and HR people I've had the occasional pleasure to interview with.

What it boils down to is this: It seems I'm too old to engage in a career in IT. At 33, with experience setting up a fully functional Citadel-86/RA/WWIV telecommunications community (yeah, I know -- those terms mean NOTHING in this decade). Basically I'm obsolete, my skills are arthritic and I still have no more of an idea what I want to pursue in IT than when I started going to school.

I regret listening to myself. I regret telling myself that the cost of going to college, working full time and going to school full time, missing out on the growth of my son, and running myself ragged for more than two years now . . . was going to be worth it. I regret listening to the admissions representative who told me the IT industry was (and still is) seeing solid growth and there would be no trouble placing me anywhere I wanted to go. It seems the only people who have benefited from my time and effort are the corporate non-visage who hold stock in the company doing business as the college I attended. I also regret listening to my parents, who told me when my father earned his degree, that doors opened up left and right for him and he immediately doubled his income. I paid at least twenty grand to get myself a pay cut and I haven't had a raise in five years.

So it's time to reinvent myself and start over for the perhaps fifth time in the last ten years. I'm more than likely going to go back to what I was doing before (I was a fairly good forklift driver in the past but I hated being treated like bantha crap with the added expectation of behaving like a myrmidon every day). At least if forklift jobs are still paying what they are now, I might have a chance to start paying my own government back for that waste of time and resources I went through.

Maybe I'm just being whiny and self-absorbed here; I don't know.

I still want to keep in contact; my email address is still available through my cellphone (which was gifted to me and maintained by my parents; it seems I can't pretty much do anything on my own these days!). The interface is awful and the 3G connection is dodgy at best, but I can still send and receive basic emails and browse the internet.

*sigh . . .*

Above all, while I do intend to stick around as I can, I do want to take a moment and thank each and everyone of you for your time, patience and good humor.

:hailprobe::salute:

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

Well, it is good that you got that off your chest. Now you will go to the ends of the earth, come hell and high water, to do what you want to do. You probably won't think it was worth it when you get there, eventually, and yes it could take years, but if you had a time machine you could go back and run into that optimistic and somewhat idealistic kid and say to him, rather tiredly...

"Hey, you know what? You made it."

And he would laugh at you...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Everythng Keith says above, and congratulations on your graduation.

You obviously have determination, intelligence and ability to do hard work. Employment is tough for everybody I think, no better here in the UK.
Do what you need to do at the moment, and keep an eye out for the opportunities, they will turn up.

Best wishes, N.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, don't give up. Don't be too hard with yourself, the USA and the whole world are going through economical hard times. I already heard stories like yours a lot of times those last years. Things are getting unstable, and will get better or will explode, because people like you and me won't accept forever to be pushed again and again.

Seems you are doing the right thing anyway, do something that allows you to live and stay alert for opportunities. Though working in a different area, I'm there too, more or less.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda had myself a meltdown last night and blew up . . . but it was something I realized I needed to do. It's too easy for me to take a bad event and cover it up under rose-colored glasses and pretend nothing's wrong. And I've been learning it is rather difficult to stay rational when faced with these kinds of events when unprepared to deal with them in any aspect.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm pretty well burnt out on the whole "working on computers" thing. I guess what I won't do is 'nothing.'

Thanks for the replies.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
After all that -- I have some good news that I want to proudly present. :)

It was a month-long process, and I've started off the year with a bang so far with quite possibly the best Christmas present I could have given myself; I'm now a remote technician for a managed services provider.

The past several days have been very busy, full of data dumps . . . but now I'm coming home each day (even through rush hour traffic) feeling fulfilled.

Thanks, guys for your wisdom -- even though I didn't feel it at the time, I didn't give up and I listened. You guys were right. :tiphat:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey, that's great to hear!! Re-reading some of this thread for context brought a grimace, but my heart soars for seeing the latest post. Congratulations, man!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Congratulations on the new job!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are really lucky that you found a job already - because otherwise I would have had to shanghai you. :rofl: