Vessel Commerical LEO destinations and other space stations

supersonic71

Reaction score
Website
github.com
Will donate $15 to anyone who creates an opensource addon for the Orbital Reef! (first image)

(I realise its not much for the effort, but my country's currency is a bit messed up rn haha. Maybe others could donate to the creator too!).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You could just start to learn modeling, and do it yourself, that might get you there faster. Most of the geometries are simple from what I can see, it looks like a great beginners project to start messing with blender.

supersonic71

Reaction score
Website
github.com
I tried, but I found doing textures/uv mapping difficult. And making it look good in Orbiter.
Also got burnt out trying to learn multiple things at the same time ?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
For a second I thought that Orbital Reef was an Orbiter screenshot.

I think I could probably work up something pretty close with existing modules from the Hangar

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is what I have so far. No interiors. Just 2 parts the main section with the windows and a connector. The main section has attachments for solar arrays,....... Both have docks

Attachments

• ORBITALREEF1.zip
    537.4 KB · Views: 4
  • ORBITALREEFCONNECTOR.jpg
    ORBITALREEFCONNECTOR.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5
  • ORBITALREEFSTATION.jpg
    ORBITALREEFSTATION.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 5

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
3 modules? Looks like I might need to make the one person vessel that was docked to the main section.

Right now there are 2 separate parts the connector and main part. Simple cfg. I based the size off a image. So to be a cargo may need additional attachments,.....

It looks like the array maybe next. Just by looking at the images. It looks like the lower arrays fold up.

Do we have the vessel that this would go up in? I want to see if even the right size. I wonder if the connector and the array are 2 vessels? Maybe there is no bottom dock? and the solar array is there?

So the bottom of the connector is open. The support bar for the array looks inside the vessel. And the center array look to be folding and can rotate

Attachments

• orbitalreefarray.jpg
    orbitalreefarray.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 13
  • orbitalreefarray1.jpg
    orbitalreefarray1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 13
  • orbitalreefarray2.jpg
    orbitalreefarray2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think it would make sense if the connector is one unit with the solar array and radiator unit. It should be possible to fold this all in a way that it can be launched.

The third module would be the small EVA hardsuit, robot or maintenance spacecraft or what ever it is. It is attached to the docking port of the connector initially. I suspect it is responsible for actually docking the habitat module to the connector.

EDIT:

By this quote from the short presentation for Orbital Reef:

Genesis Engineering Solutions – Providing the Single Person Spacecraft for routine external operations and tourist excursions

I would say, this is the small thing I mean and can be found here:

Which would be cool to have in Orbiter anyway.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the hard thing is going to make it foldable. It looks it might fold just at the bottom of the connector. It looks like the glenn rocket uses a 7 M fairing so it should fit

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the hard thing is going to make it foldable. It looks it might fold just at the bottom of the connector. It looks like the glenn rocket uses a 7 M fairing so it should fit

Yes, also it looks like there is a small slot to let the solar array boom rotate by more than 90° with the axis inside the cylindrical connector module, so that the solar arrays can fit folded into the dynamic envelope of a long 5m fairing.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think something like this. It looks like the rod that the radiators are on is in the middle and then that black mast is behind,

As far as folding. The radiators fold up and maybe translate up. The mast and rod. I think I may make into several sections that telescopic out/in. I thought about scaling but then you run into a timing issue with the array structure.

The arrays will scale out. They will be able to rotate also.

Attachments

• newconnectorarray1.jpg
    newconnectorarray1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
  • newconnectorarray2.jpg
    newconnectorarray2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 5

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some progress and some sit backs. The set backs it trying to get the array inside the 7 meter fairing. But I think I can rescale the array so that it angle up and fits. I might just scale the rod and mast.

The blue Origin uses a 7 meter. The circle is 7 meters. I have the diameter of the connector at 5 meters.

Attachments

• arrayfront2.jpg
    arrayfront2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 7
  • arrayfront1.jpg
    arrayfront1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 7
  • ORBITALREEFSTOWED1.jpg
    ORBITALREEFSTOWED1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7
  • newconnectorarray3.jpg
    newconnectorarray3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 7

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What if you move it further inside, so that the solar arrays are resting almost on top the center hatch, rotating it by 105-110° from the deployed position? Could that work?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which part to rotate 105 to 110? But By reducing the shaft I can get this. the image on the right is reduced shaft and it fits in the 7 meter fairing/shroud

Attachments

• arraystow1.jpg
    arraystow1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The boom on which the radiators and the solar arrays are installed. The slot in the connector module looks like it can rotate more than 90° from launch configuration to final deployment.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OH. We get this. Then the array need to fold up 90 degrees. This will fit. I will need to make some changes.

Attachments

• STOWED3.jpg
    STOWED3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
  • STOWED2.jpg
    STOWED2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
  • STOWED5.jpg
    STOWED5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • STOWED4.jpg
    STOWED4.jpg