Communications in Orbiter-Forum

acesax23

O-F Facebook Correspondent
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I wish to have a communication system here in O-F. well , that wish was granted. The "Orbiter IRC chat"
but . Isn't nicer if we have a Voice Conferencing with other Orbinaut? what do you think? say "I". if you disagree, say "ne" ..lol :lol:

For more information.. http://www.teamspeak.com/

But the problem is .. if we will choose TeamSpeak.. it might and insult to IRC :facepalm: ..

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The teamspeak works well with Xyon's #orbiterradio IRC, with no insult to the IRC channel, but it's broadcast via Internet radio as well, so it's both text and voice communication, because IRC chatters can listen, and it's usually no more than 3 persons with teamspeak there.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The topic of voice chat has come up before, and it's been hashed out--for casual chatting, IRC (or any written chat) is superior to voice because you don't have to be at the computer all the time. With voice, if I stand up to go make a sandwich and come back a few minutes later, I will have missed everything that happened.

With text, I can just read what everyone's said.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you can't lurk in voice chat and post the log on bash.org. :lol:
Also, some people may be a bit shy with their voices... :rolleyes:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
everyone is welcome in my server!

That would be more believable if you provided a URL or IP address for the server...

Also, are you going to advertise times for various meet ups or is it a matter of hanging around on teamspeak in the hope that someone joins in?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As Gary alluded to, I have a permanently-available TeamSpeak server running, connectable at orbiterradio.thruhere.net (default Teamspeak Port 9987). You'll need the Teamspeak 3 client to connect to it - just type that into the "Connections -> Connect" screen's "Address" field and leave the port alone, it should find it quite happily.

It is subject to my own broadband connection, which has been sluggish of late, so I'm not certain if speeds will be excellent through it (I am hoping for a bandwidth upgrade to 40Mbps/10Mpbs for next year), but it's been used for conference radio shows before with reasonable degrees of success.

---------- Post added 01-11-10 at 03:22 ---------- Previous post was 31-10-10 at 17:15 ----------

Ah. Looks like DynDNS have changed their redirects without notice.

orbiterradio.dyndns.info is now the hostname of the server.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well right now there's just me on it, and I'm a little hoarse from having a seasonal illness, so... ya. Plus it's 0530.

---------- Post added at 07:07 ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 ----------

Well, you can't lurk in voice chat and post the log on bash.org. :lol:

True, but Michaeldim has previously recorded the backlog of a teamspeak session (t'was a conference radio show), picked out the boring bits and got rid of them, then hosted the podcast. It's more involved, perhaps, but still doable. :)

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And by that you mean the session devolved into laughter, probes and penguins? :p

Indeed I do. There was much squawking, and only half of it was me.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Indeed I do. There was much squawking, and only half of it was me.
Sounds promising. :lol:

Maybe once I've got my own computer connected to the interwebs again I'll have a look...or hear. Or something.
Also, some people may be a bit shy with their voices... :rolleyes:
Mm. Especially when one's microphone makes one sound like his nasal cavities are larger than his lungs. ...I really need a better microphone.
Maybe I can pilfer one from my brother's studio equipment...
Smiley_evilslaugh.gif

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You should hear some of us on Orbiter-Radio..... or more precisely me when I have a cold! My only concerns for a teamspeak server are around scheduling times for a group chat and how quickly will people lose interest?
When I did my orbiter radio show a few months back I'd get 15-20 listeners. On Friday I had three.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes indeed, the novelty does wear off these sorts of things quite quickly, and the large initial interest base settles out into a more modest, if stable, userbase (With exceptions).

This does feel like a huge plug for my radio station, but the two technologies of teamspeak and internet radio are quite nicely relevant, and that I tend to prefer to use teamspeak for the collaborative shows. It works well.

I am, however, happy to run servers for as long as there is small interest. The teamspeak stays because it's of use, and others can use it for various things, including their own radio shows and game sessions, for instance. The radio will stay broadcasting as long as there are people listening, I suppose - I've given thought to its future recently as listener and participant numbers have declined dramatically in recent months, but I'm happy keeping her going, for now at least. :)

Speaking of which, it's time I went and did some radio. :p