Complex cockpits

Mole

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been simming with Orbiter since 2004 but just joined this forum.

I like to say off the bat that I like complex cockpits. Both in MSFS and Orbiter: flicking switches, checklists, getting the systems to respond etc. is my thing. Of course I'm aware that Orbiter is a "space flight sim" and not so much a "space ship sim", which is fine 'cause it is great at what it does! (and for free!)

Yet, I look for add-ons which simulate more complex systems. I'm aware of:

- the Deltaglider has a number of simulated systems, though modeled fairly simple
- the Dragonfly has a complex sim of the fuel cells/oxygen system, but it is not a space ship you can take from A to B (plus it has some bugs and hasn't been updated)
- NASSP for the Apollo fans
- Ultimate Space Shuttle - not bad but far from the complete thing

So the question is: is anyone aware of add-ons (or developing them) that have at least as much complexity as any of the above? The scarier, the better :)

Marijn

Reaction score
Did you also check the XR1 and XR5 Deltagliders? Figuring out the IMFD and TranX MFD's for some cool manouvring sequences can be quite challenging at times..

Reaction score
Yes, definitely check out the XR series and the very similar Deltaglider IV. There's also the Shuttle-A Mk.2, which is a little older but AFAIK still works with the current version of Orbiter (may take some tweaking). As far as historical addons, I know there are addons for Mercury and Gemini, as well as Vostok and Soyuz, but I don't know how much detail they go into.

There are also many addons that feature much simpler systems, such as [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=473"]Vespucci D[/ame] or [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3198"]Firefly[/ame], which may or may not be up your alley.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The XR series, as recommended above fits the bill.

So does Project Mercury, but this one's in a different camp entirely. Still, the buttons and switches work (with the realism setting maxed, see if you can leave the atmosphere without having to flip switches and jab buttons!), as do all the fuses.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's the Ultra Shuttle, and we are working on it.:(

Mole

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, indeed I was not aware of the XR series, I'll give those a spin!

bujin

Reaction score
If you like flicking switches, I could recommend another sim. But I dunno how the Orbiter community would like it! ;)

bujin

Reaction score
Because some forums tied to one product don't like "advertising" other products, and I wasn't sure what the policy is on this site. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Because some forums tied to one product don't like "advertising" other products, and I wasn't sure what the policy is on this site. :)

Orbiter is non-commercial, so talking about other simulations is usually accepted or even welcome, as long as it does not get beyond all good manners. For example on M6, talking about SSM2007 is no problem - but opening seven threads about that commercial software in 20 hours is a problem.

The main problem is also "Apples and Pies". The only thing which really gets close to Orbiter in software history is the classic MS Space Simulator.

bujin

Reaction score
Fairy nuff! Thought it would be worth waiting to see if it would cause any offence before mentioning it! :)

In that case, I'll say that SSM2007 is my favourite sim at the moment, precisely because it has all the complexity. I've just finished STS-31 as I type this.

Sure, it only does the Space Shuttle in earth orbit, compared to the depth of Orbiter, but it's still great fun!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In that case, I'll say that SSM2007 is my favourite sim at the moment, precisely because it has all the complexity. I've just finished STS-31 as I type this.

As Space Shuttle Ultra codeveloper, I could now jump on the flame and say, that it is nice for hamster training, but the cockpit can be done better.

But well, the stuff that is unreadable in their screen shots is readable and can be used directly in Shuttle Ultra, the stuff that is unreadable in SSU currently can be read in SSM2007... :cheers:

bujin

Reaction score
As Space Shuttle Ultra codeveloper, I could now jump on the flame and say, that it is nice for hamster training, but the cockpit can be done better.

But well, the stuff that is unreadable in their screen shots is readable and can be used directly in Shuttle Ultra, the stuff that is unreadable in SSU currently can be read in SSM2007... :cheers:

Then I shall have to investigate Space Shuttle Ultra! :speakcool:

mrspacely

Reaction score
Im a fellow button/switch flipper and am always looking for more complex systems (though complex and still futuristic, im not going to learn 70's technology when we can do so much now with our computers). I would love to see more complex futuristic panels, that include systems such as environmental, electrical/hydraulic, and maybe some misc systems..

Is the design process pretty much writing code? Is there an easier way to design vehicles/panels such as there is for microsoft flight simulator?