Question Composite vessel DLL ??

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi... i was wondering... my "C++ for windows" skills yet leave much to be desired, so i´m not sure on how to proceed on this...

what if one were to make a "hybrid" vessel DLL, i mean... my own DLL would "attach" something like the spacecraft3.dll and relay some of the ship´s functionality to it, allowing me to focus on developing the stuff that´s unique to my ship and reinvent the wheel a little less...

is it worth it, doing something like this? or is the hassle involved greater than if i were to do things "manually"?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
You'd be best coding your own .dll and not trying to use both your own and spacescraft3

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah... i thought so... thanks for confirming!

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't think it would be a big hassle to write code that load vessel's parameters from, say, a text file, but it would sure be worse than to plug things manually specially if you're still a beginner. Spacecraft3 interoperability is out of question though.

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Roger that!

I´ll stick to Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v from the samples while i can... that´s enough non-reinvention-of-the-wheel for me...:hmm:

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Roger that!

I´ll stick to Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v from the samples while i can... that´s enough non-reinvention-of-the-wheel for me...:hmm:

Copy+paste addon developing can only get you so far, once you have released a few addons using Copy+paste addon developing you will see why!

E

ex-orbinaut

... that´s enough non-reinvention-of-the-wheel for me...:hmm:

I wouldn't worry too much about avoiding re-inventing the wheel. Doing so is precisely how you go through the process of learning.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
it´s really not ALL copy-paste... i´m just going over the DG sample so i can understand what goes where...

it´s working out quite fine, so far... :yes:

i actually did have to re-write the entire RCS thruster set... the ones on my ship are not configured the same as they are on the glider...

-- and now, my latest invention..... *drumroll*............. THE WHEEL! :cheers: