General Question confused about a few addons not working for me

Sparky

Reaction score
Okay so I downloaded a few addons that I wanted a few Star Trek ones and Battlestar Galatica, I did the normal thing and just put it into my Orbiter folder. The addons are not showing up on scenarios or in the scenario editor. I looked at them and they are file types I've not seen before, the are rar files. Is there anything specific I need to do with these for them to work?

llarian

Reaction score
RAR files are compressed archive files. Winzip, Winrar, or 7-zip decompressors should be able to handle them. Uncompress into the relevant Orbiter directories.

Cheers

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
rar is analogous to a zip file. You need to get 7zip or WINrar to unpack them. Until you do, they aren't going to be much use to you.

Edit::ninja:

RonDVouz

Reaction score
I've tried just about all the suggestions posted here in regards to getting ASMO to work for me and I still have nothing. So far the only add on I've gotten to stick were the new textures, and I'm still scratching my head as to why.

I use 7zip, I keep file paths straight, I do test install and look at the log and it says everything's fine......when I know it's not. Now I've just given up. I'm just stuck with what it is now.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've found the Jonessoft Mod Enabler to be really valuable for managing add-ons.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just drop it into your Orbiter directory, the run it. The first time you do so it'll create a folder titled "Mods" (it will ask you for a name, but defaults to mods). Put all your add-ons into the mods folder, when you run JSGME, you can select what add-ons to load/unload into/from your Orbiter.

It makes for a nice, tidy installation, and makes troubleshooting pretty easy. If a new add-on "breaks" Orbiter, use JGSGME to yank out the one causing the trouble and you should be back in business.

Attachments

• screengrab.jpg
    screengrab.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 13
  • screen.png
    screen.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 11

RonDVouz

Reaction score
Wait!!

What's this!?!!

OK, I did it wrong. I loaded each of the individual folders in the mod generator instead of the whole folder, fixed that and it LOADED!! FINALLY!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Another satisfied customer!

(smiles politely and goes back to polishing the glasses at the bar)