Cool names for spacecraft

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
No matches on the forum great :p
Anyways, I'm just starting a thread for you to post good, bad and ugly names for spacecraft :lol:
Feel free to post anything you think is a good name or maybe some of your favorite names of programs past or present. (or future for that matter ;) )

Hail the probe :hailprobe:

-Eli

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Cool name? There's only one: Probe.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Probe is the name.
But not what I exactly held in mind, as in what a human would name their spacecraft.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Galatea ?

Galatea is an ancient Greek name meaning "she who is milk-white".

Galatea was a sea-nymph in Ovid's story of Acis and Galatea (Ancient Greek mythology)

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
Some names for future spaceships (mainly battleships): Darkstar, Destroyer of Worlds, Hunter of Worlds, Monarch of Night, Nightfall, Nightwing, Sovereign, Starbane, Starbreaker, Starfire, Star Reaper, Starsword, Suncrusher, Sunstorm, Voidstar, Voidwalker

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Gatot Kaca, its an ancient superhero from the Javanese Folklore (much like superman, but in mythology) but then again we Indonesians have used it for several aircrafts and UAVs :/

chobolatom

XR2 ESA Virtual Pilot
Reaction score
Names of spacecrafts from Star Wars or Star Trek are cool. ;)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Short-intersolar journeys: Pythagoras
Longer than that: Euclid
Even longer than that: Edwin Eugene Aldrin.

Have fun,
Happy orbiting!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Смотреть-1 anyone? :p

Eagle1Division

Reaction score
Some I've been looking at stem from real-world names of vehicles.
Mars.
(God of War)
Abraham.
(From the M1A2 "Abrams", which is Abraham shortened.)
Where the heck did the other two names I had in mind go? I'll try to find them again. :hmm:

I'm bad at coming up with names so I've been trying to figure out how things get names IRL.

Some are named after animals (Cobra). In The Halo universe everything is named after animals. (Scorpion tank, Mongoose ATV, Hornet gunship, Pelican dropship, Warthog, etc. etc.) That's worked pretty well for them.

Modern spaceships are named after exploratory vessels and such, I remember reading. Even ones like Discovery, that seem like they're named after themselves, are named after old science/exploring sailing ships.
Space Probes are usually named after scientists. (Galileo, Cassini, Huygens, etc.)
Then there's the ones with the self-naming names: Voyager 1, 2. Spirit, Mars Science Laboratory, Opportunity (named after unusually good planetary alignment, I have a suspicion.)
I suspect the Viking probes were named after Vikings since they were the first to discover Greenland, and the New World (Don't quote me on the second one: Confidence level: low.), and they didn't settle there but were the first, just like the first probes.

Oh, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there's now a tradition of naming helicopter gunships after Native American tribes... (Apache, Commanche.)
Warships are named after battles, generals and places: Nimitz, Bunker Hill, Ohio, Los Angeles.

There's some good places to start. Of course occasionally there's an original name, though. Like Seawolf.

Last edited:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
How about Norris? :p

Really, here's some for cargo things:
  • Prosperity
  • Some latin name for gold
  • Carbon
  • Martin
And military:
  • Pestifer Mundi (Destroyer of worlds in Latin :p)
  • Crockett
  • Chuck :focus:

And, how about a probe named Kaku!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
HVIPS. :facepalm:

:lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I use to call all my ships in games like Starflight "Fairytale". Not sure why, I used it as a name for a spaceship since I was 13 or so...

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The coolest name is of course "Discovery", suppose you can't beat the ages of history compressed into it. L'Astrolabe is a good name, too. For smaller-scale ventures, Gypsy Moth should be fine.