New Release Crew Dragon 2022

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I figured it would be optional, like the crew meshes, but since I can't find a suitable mesh anyway its a moot point!
I see the proposed Inspiration4 mission orbit (51.6 inc., 540km alt.)is the same inclination as ISS - viewing/photo opportunity for the passengers?
Cheers,
Brian

That would be super cool, but the reason they're choosing 51.6 is to preserve the same abort locations as for the NASA missions.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would be super cool, but the reason they're choosing 51.6 is to preserve the same abort locations as for the NASA missions.
Actually, its so I can run outside 20 mins after liftoff and watch it go right overhead ;-)
No, you're absolutely right, of course!

kalral

Reaction score
Hi,
Beautiful addon. The reflections and the textures look amazing.
I have a small doubt, when I did auto-launch, the DM2 has been launched into 54° inclination parking orbit, while the ISS has 51.6° inclincation. Is this intentional? Do they also do this in Real life like launch Dragon to a bit off-plane inclination?

Thanks.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hi,
Beautiful addon. The reflections and the textures look amazing.
I have a small doubt, when I did auto-launch, the DM2 has been launched into 54° inclination parking orbit, while the ISS has 51.6° inclincation. Is this intentional? Do they also do this in Real life like launch Dragon to a bit off-plane inclination?

Thanks.
It's my suspicion that the Falcon 9 does a "dog-leg" maneuver during crew launches. The droneship locations for Falcon 9's first stage doesn't make any sense otherwise.

kalral

Reaction score
It's my suspicion that the Falcon 9 does a "dog-leg" maneuver during crew launches. The droneship locations for Falcon 9's first stage doesn't make any sense otherwise.
Thanks for the answer. I wonder why they opt to do that. According to my knowledge, dog-leg maneuvers are mostly done when they want to avoid dropping rocket stages on land mass. From KSC 51.64° should be easily achievable without any dog-leg maneuvers. I read somewhere that KSC has huge launch azimuth from ~35° to ~120°. Do you reckon the Shuttle also did this maneuver when going to ISS?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I wonder why they opt to do that. According to my knowledge, dog-leg maneuvers are mostly done when they want to avoid dropping rocket stages on land mass. From KSC 51.64° should be easily achievable without any dog-leg maneuvers. I read somewhere that KSC has huge launch azimuth from ~35° to ~120°. Do you reckon the Shuttle also did this maneuver when going to ISS?
I think its because of abort-zone requirements for the Crew Dragon. I don't think the Shuttle did the same, but I'm no Shuttle expert - others on this forum would be able to to tell you more definitively than I.
Cheers,
Brian

ADD-ON NOTE: After launching the Falcon9 to target 54deg inclination, once 1st stage has separated you can open Falcon9 control panel (press K) and set target inclination for 51.64.

kalral

Reaction score
I think its because of abort-zone requirements for the Crew Dragon. I don't think the Shuttle did the same, but I'm no Shuttle expert - others on this forum would be able to to tell you more definitively than I.
Cheers,
Brian

ADD-ON NOTE: After launching the Falcon9 to target 54deg inclination, once 1st stage has separated you can open Falcon9 control panel (press K) and set target inclination for 51.64.
Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I hope in future, SpaceX includes all the information about orbit in Live Stream, at least in the Technical Live Stream.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0312_cr.jpg

Can the Dragon be used to repair the Hubble Space Telescope?
Launch from the Cape, align orbit with a dogleg maneuver of the 2nd stage and deliver new computers to the HST.

Attachments

• Dragon HST Repair.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 6

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't forget Donamy's "SAL HST Repair" add-on, which requires a "double" Falcon9 launch of Dragon and the SAL repair module, and the HST_Ex add-on. It does use the older "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" version of the Dragon though.
I think it could be easily be updated for the "Crew Dragon DM2" version, if required.
Cheers,
Brian

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks to all for the kind words, I hope it's fun to fly and dock with the ISS.

The Abort function is disabled when Dragon is not attached to a launcher or pad - must have been something else! SuperDracos are defined as the "Hover" engine, the "Main" engine (retro nose Dracos) is disabled when the nose-cone is closed. Beware engaging MFD autopilots without opening the nose-cone - MFD might select "Hover" engine as default.

You do have a choice of cockpit positions - press N or Ctrl+N to cycle through them. As for the buttons - that's down to me being fairly hopeless at VC stuff, and it is a fair bit of work to implement. I hope to at least make an MFD for spacecraft functions and maybe autopilots for deorbit and reentry, at some point soon.
All the best,
Brian

View attachment 13041
The SpaceX "Crew Dragon" capsule and scenarios for the 2020 "DM2" crewed mission to the ISS.
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=06e64e6a-53e0-45ba-8aa4-2adf6a7fa792

Inc.VC control panel with 7 MFDs, optional crew member models, cabin lighting,
extendable docking assembly, abort function, recovery vessel "GoSearcher", etc.
Scenarios in "DM2" folder. Installation and operation notes in /Doc/DM2 folder.
Compatible with D3D9 Graphics Client and Orbitersound.

Launch scenario requires "Falcon9 for Orbiter2016" add-on:
[ame]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7091[/ame]

Recommended: D3D9 Graphics Client
http://users.kymp.net/~p501474a/D3D9Client/

"Crew Dragon DM2" add-on for Orbiter2016 by:
Donamy
Felix24
BrianJ
Hey Brian wow, this is amazing!
I just have one question.

This might be a silly one, how do I get in the cockpit? I normally go into camera, target and focus cockpit that puts the MFD's at the second stage view. And as soon as I separate the Capsule and trunk from the second stage the focus is still on the second stage then I have no control of the Capsule.

What am I not doing right?
And how do I align planes using the second stage?

Brian your help will really be appreciated thank in advance.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And how do I align planes using the second stage?
Hi,
I assume you mean with ISS? Find the ISS orbit inclination (equatorial frame), you can use OrbitMFD for that.
Open AlignPlaneMFD after liftoff, set target to ISS.
Once the booster stage has separated from 2nd stage, open Falcon9 "Launch Control" panel [K] and set inclination for something like 48deg. Check AlignPlaneMFD - about 60 sec before you hit Descending Node where your orbit crosses ISS orbit plane, open Falcon9 launch control panel again and set inclination to match ISS (51.65 or whatever it is).
That should get you pretty close.
This might be a silly one, how do I get in the cockpit?
Press F3, select Dragon.
Press F8 to switch between VC and glass cockpit.
Have fun :)
BrianJ

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi,
I assume you mean with ISS? Find the ISS orbit inclination (equatorial frame), you can use OrbitMFD for that.
Open AlignPlaneMFD after liftoff, set target to ISS.
Once the booster stage has separated from 2nd stage, open Falcon9 "Launch Control" panel [K] and set inclination for something like 48deg. Check AlignPlaneMFD - about 60 sec before you hit Descending Node where your orbit crosses ISS orbit plane, open Falcon9 launch control panel again and set inclination to match ISS (51.65 or whatever it is).
That should get you pretty close.

Press F3, select Dragon.
Press F8 to switch between VC and glass cockpit.
Have fun :)
BrianJ
Hey Brian, thank you so much for your help. And wow wow awsome, what an amazing piece of work.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally! I managed to get an MFD to compile :)
So here is the "CrewDragonMFD" - a vessel-specific MFD for the "Crew Dragon DM2" and "Crew Dragon Inspiration4".

Features: De-Orbit burn autopilot and Re-Entry attitude autopilot. Also buttons for various hatch open/close, jettison, lighting, etc.

mfd.jpg

It has been many years since I tried to make an MFD, and I had to set up my compiler from scratch (so I hope I have linked all the things I need to link, and ignored the things I need to ignore!). It was very buggy at first and caused many Orbiter CTDs. It now seems quite stable on my installation - but I would be grateful to anyone who would like to test it to see if it causes any problems.

The attached "crewdragonMFD_220326.zip" contains the CrewDragonMFD module and also new modules for the DM2 and Inspiration4 dragons (so they can report status to the MFD). Also some notes in the Doc/DM2/ folder. Unzip into your Orbiter folder as usual (and don't forget to enable CrewDragonMFD in the Modules list).

There are still a couple of niggling bugs:
Cabin Lights button doesn't work in Glass Cockpit mode.
De-Orbit dV value is sometimes slightly off (but only by 1 or 2 m/s).

Thanks to anyone brave enough to give it a try - let me know how it goes, any bugs, etc.

@Donamy & Felix24 - Hey guys! Sorry it's a "little" late!

Cheers,
BrianJ

*** EDIT: Attachment removed (bugs!) - see post: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/crew-dragon-dm2.38043/post-593537

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
EDIT: Heck, this one still has bugs, but it doesn't cause CTD's so I'll leave it on here and try again.
******************************************************************************************************
Another day, another bug found and exterminated.

This version fixes the "CTD-on-next-scenario-if-Orbiter-not-closed-and-Dragon-used-but-CrewDragonMFD-not-operational-at-simulation-exit" bug.
:rolleyes:
Thanks again to Gieno for ruthless bug hunting (y)
No changes to the Dragon .dll's but I've left them in the package.

"crewdragonMFD_220407.zip" attached to this post - unzip into Orbiter root folder as usual. Overwrite everything.

Sorry for the bugginess of this MFD!
Cheers,
Brian

EDIT: Attachment removed (bugs!) - see post: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/crew-dragon-dm2.38043/post-593537

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, I think I've got it working properly in this version - no CTD's, no persistant data and settings between scenarios.
Apologies for putting up so many buggy versions - I'm learning as I go!
Let me know if anyone finds any other bugs.

Attached is "crewdragonMFD_220408.zip" - Unzip into Orbiter folder, overwrite previous files.

If it really is "bug free", I'll include it in the "Crew Dragon DM2" package on OH.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• crewdragonMFD_220408.zip
    422.7 KB · Views: 17

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Question: What Visual C++ version is used to compile this MFD?

Reason: I recently switched to Windows 11, and this MFD does not show up in the MFD selection list.
While Orbiter is running fine, I have two MFD's that do not show up, Pursuit MFD and CrewDragonMFD.
They do show up in the launchpad dialog box (although in the "Miscellanous" section, not in the "MFD modes") and are ticked there,
but they are not in the MFD-list when inside the simulation.

Maybe I have to install another .net framework, or so.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Question: What Visual C++ version is used to compile this MFD?

Reason: I recently switched to Windows 11, and this MFD does not show up in the MFD selection list.
While Orbiter is running fine, I have two MFD's that do not show up, Pursuit MFD and CrewDragonMFD.
They do show up in the launchpad dialog box (although in the "Miscellanous" section, not in the "MFD modes") and are ticked there,
but they are not in the MFD-list when inside the simulation.

Maybe I have to install another .net framework, or so.
Hi,
I'm using Visual C++ Express 2010 compiler, running Windows 8.1 on an Asus PC.
I was wondering if I had got all the linking done correctly - I'll check again to see if there is anything I can see that's not the same as my setup for compiling Vessel .dll's (which don't usually seem to have any problems).
I'll get back to you asap if I can find anything.
I got most of the code from Orbiter's MFD sample code, and a little bit from PursuitMFD (thanks Rawash), but I don't think that's the issue.
Cheers,
Brian