New Release Crew Dragon 2022

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@francisdrake - attached is a new version "crewdragonMFD_220409.zip". (only the MFD .dll)
Some compiler settings I had missed, the .dll has tripled in size! It works for me OK.
Could you give it a try when you have time? Thanks!

Attachments

• crewdragonMFD_220409.zip
    82.8 KB · Views: 14

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Yes, that works!
Thanks a lot. It really adds to the immersion to control the vessel from the MFD.
I tried the onboard systems functions (hatches, nose cone, lights) as well as the navigation function (auto reentry) and all works well. (y)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, that works!
Thanks a lot. It really adds to the immersion to control the vessel from the MFD.
I tried the onboard systems functions (hatches, nose cone, lights) as well as the navigation function (auto reentry) and all works well. (y)
Great! This may be the final version then.
Many thanks for testing.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Came across a strange behaviour when running a launch scenario:
After separation from the launcher, the MFD inherits the vessel from Falcon9, and the MFD buttons are not clickable.
I think this because the MFD is blocked if used on a non-DM2 vessel.

Assume the MFD looks up the vessel at simulation start only.
It should update the vessel when it is being called (brought up on the MFD screen), or allow a manual update, for example when the vessel button is pushed.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually that's expected behaviour - the orbital calculations cause CTD if the Dragon is Attached/Docked to something.
So everything is disabled in that case. Once you have seperated from Falcon9, you should be able to select Vessel and proceed as normal.

I can probably change it so you can select Dragon as focus vessel but functions will still be disabled. Actually, I can probably make it so that only deorbit/reentry functions are disabled, and hatches/lighting etc. can be operated (if Dragon selected).

You are correct in that the MFD selects whatever vessel is the focus at simulation start.

I hadn't thought about MFD operation while docked/attached - thanks for pointing this out (y)

Another version forthcoming!

Cheers,
Brian

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
The intended inhibit while the Dragon is attached to the launcher is ok, but actually, the MFD stays inhibted after separation from the launcher. The vessel line still says 'Falcon9', although Dragon was already jettisoned and is free-flying.
The vessel cannot be changed, as the MFD does not react to button clicks.

A workaround is to leave the simulation, open the (Current state.scn), go to the MFD section and change
VES Falcon9 to VES Dragon, and restart Orbiter again.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The intended inhibit while the Dragon is attached to the launcher is ok, but actually, the MFD stays inhibted after separation from the launcher. The vessel line still says 'Falcon9', although Dragon was already jettisoned and is free-flying.
The vessel cannot be changed, as the MFD does not react to button clicks.

A workaround is to leave the simulation, open the (Current state.scn), go to the MFD section and change
VES Falcon9 to VES Dragon, and restart Orbiter again.
Doh!
?‍♂️
Will fix asap.
Thanks!

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's yet another version - allows selection of vessel and target while attached/docked. Also allows hatch/lights/etc. operation.
De-orbit and Re-entry functions are still disabled while attached/docked. Hope that makes sense ;-)
Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• crewdragonMFD_220410.zip
    79.6 KB · Views: 16

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Yes that works! It allows now to select the Dragon after jettison, by typing the vessel name.

Just a question: Would it be possible that the MFD automtically updates which vessel it is in, when it is selected in the MFD selection list?
Maybe something like clbkMFDMode?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes that works! It allows now to select the Dragon after jettison, by typing the vessel name.

Just a question: Would it be possible that the MFD automtically updates which vessel it is in, when it is selected in the MFD selection list?
Maybe something like clbkMFDMode?
Thanks. I'm not that familiar with the MFDapi, so any pointers are welcome. I'll take a look at clbkMFDMode and try and figure out what it does :)

Also, selecting the current vessel each time you turn on the MFD has logical implications. I wonder if I'd have to re-initialise data and settings each time, etc. Hmmmm.

I'll take a look and see how it goes.
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Herewith version 220412.
This one initialises to the focus vessel when its switched on for the first time during simulation.
You will need the updated versions of the Dragon capsule .dll's for the MFD to work, so I include them in this package.
Unzip into your Orbiter folder as usual and overwrite all.
Let me know if it misbehaves!
Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• crewdragonMFD_220412.zip
    481.2 KB · Views: 22

Gieno

Reaction score
Herewith version 220412.
This one initialises to the focus vessel when its switched on for the first time during simulation.
You will need the updated versions of the Dragon capsule .dll's for the MFD to work, so I include them in this package.
Unzip into your Orbiter folder as usual and overwrite all.
Let me know if it misbehaves!
Cheers,
Brian
Yes, it works!
Thank you very much. the focus vessel when its switched on for the first time during simulation.
All systems functions (hatches, nose cone, lights) as well as the navigation function (auto reentry) and all works well...;)(y)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Same here, the MFD works well!

Maybe could you try to save when the MFD is active, quit Orbiter and restart?
I get occasional CTD, but would not necessarily attribute that to the MFD.

Gieno

Reaction score

Hi Francisdrake, saved it while the MFD was ACTIVE in Auto De-Orbit. quit and restart Orbiter and it starts perfectly normal.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback (y)
I'll try exiting scenario while MFD is active and restart, to see if it gives me any trouble.
Cheers,
Brian

EDIT: I've tried various combinations of exiting/re-starting (with and without closing Orbiter completely), active and not-active, various vessels and MFD's - I can't make it CTD.
Let me know if you think the MFD is conflicting with something - might be another vessel or MFD I don't have.

Last edited:

Gieno

Reaction score

Hi Francisdrake,
Trust you well. For some reason the same thing is happening with occupational CTD...?‍♂️ are you still experiencing CTD...?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I cleaned out my Orbiter addons, leaving only some essential addons active, and others where I think they are well-behaved.
Did not experience any CTD since then, (y)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not getting any CTD's with CrewDragonMFD activated - so if you get a CTD which you think is CrewDragonMFD related, post the scenario and orbiter.log and I'll see if I can replicate the error.

In the meantime - here's yet another version if anyone wants to try it. v.220422
I've changed the reentry bank algorithm over to a deceleration based calculation (like Starship).
I think it's more accurate, robust and smoother - peaks at 3g.

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• crewdragonMFD_220422.zip
    481.4 KB · Views: 17

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not getting any CTD's with CrewDragonMFD activated - so if you get a CTD which you think is CrewDragonMFD related, post the scenario and orbiter.log and I'll see if I can replicate the error.

In the meantime - here's yet another version if anyone wants to try it. v.220422
I've changed the reentry bank algorithm over to a deceleration based calculation (like Starship).

Cheers,
Brian
Hi,
I think the CTD's I'm experiencing got nothing to do with the CrewDragonMFD. The CrewDragonMFD is really working perfectly for me.

I'll try v.220422 thank you...??

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi,

Cheers,
Brian
With v.220422 everything is working perfectly fine my side...??