Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like it may make it ths time:

6 April 2010
A timeline of the most critical events around the launch of ESA's CryoSat-2 satellite, scheduled for 15:57 CEST on Thursday, 8 April 2010.

CryoSat-2 will be placed into orbit 717 km above Earth by a Russian Dnepr rocket launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM4ERZNK7G_index_0.html

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Cryosat_front_L.jpg

240px-ESA_LOGO.svg.png
kosmotras.png

Launch site:
Baikonur Launch silo no. 109/95 45°57'4.21"N, 63°29'49.36"E

Launch date: April 8, 2010

The launch time is:
19:57:04 Baikonur 08.04.2010
17:57:04 Moscow Local 08.04.2010
13:57:04 UTC Apr 8, 2010
9:57:04 a.m. EDT Apr 8, 2010

[eventTimer]2010-04-08 13:57:04?before|after;%dd% Days %hh% Hours %mm% Minutes %ss% Seconds %c%[/eventTimer]CryoSat II Launch

Payload: CryoSat II Earth observation satellite

Launch Mass: 720 kg
Target orbit: Low-Earth, non-Sun-synchronous; 717 km
Orbital Period: 100 minutes
Nominal Mission: 3.5 years

CryoSat mission history

CryoSat was an ESA satellite that was destroyed on launch October 8, 2005 when the second stage engine of a modified Russian SS-19 ICBM did not cut-off as planned.[1][2] CryoSat was proposed in 1998 by Duncan Wingham of University College London. The satellite's planned three year mission was to survey natural and human driven changes in the cryosphere on Earth. It was designed to provide much more accurate data on the rate of change of the surface elevation of the polar ice sheets and sea ice thickness. It was the first ESA Earth Sciences satellite selected through open, scientific competition.

CryoSat was launched from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in Russia, using a Rockot launcher. (Rockot is a modified SS-19 rocket which was originally an ICBM designed to deliver nuclear weapons, but which Russia is now eliminating in accordance with the START treaties.) According to Mr. Yuri Bakhvalov, First Deputy Director General of the Khrunichev Space Centre, when the automatic command to switch off the second stage engine did not take effect, the second stage continued to operate until it ran out of fuel and as a consequence the planned separation of the third (Breeze-KM) stage of the rocket which carried the CryoSat satellite did not take place, and would thus have remained attached to the second stage. The upper rocket stages, together with the satellite, probably crashed in the Lincoln Sea.

Analysis of the error revealed that it was caused by faults in the programming of the rocket, which had not been detected in simulations.

After the launch failure of CryoSat, ESA immediately started to plan a replacement CryoSat mission. This included securing the industrial team which had built the original, ordering parts which have a long delivery time and establishing a funding scheme within existing budgets. Due to the importance of the scientific goals of this satellite, there was enormous support for this, and the initial phases for CryoSat-2 were approved when ESA's Earth Observation Programme Board agreed to build a copy of the spacecraft on February 23, 2006.

Spacecraft: CryoSat II

Cryosat_bottom_L.jpg

CryoSat-2's primary payload is the SAR/Interferometric Radar Altimeter (SIRAL), which has extended capabilities to meet the measurement requirements for ice-sheet elevation and sea-ice freeboard.

4_sar_hz31_L,0.jpg

CryoSat-2 will also carry three star trackers for measuring the orientation of the baseline. In addition, a radio receiver called Doppler Orbit and Radio Positioning Integration by Satellite (DORIS) and a small laser retroreflector ensures that CryoSat-2's position will be accurately tracked.

Unlike most satellites, CryoSat does not have any deployable solar panels; in fact the satellite has no moving parts at all, except for some valves in the propulsion system.

This has enabled a very significant cost saving, but does pose some problems for the provision of adequate solar power in Cryostat-2's unusual orbit. The solar panels are rigidly fixed to the satellite body, forming a "roof" with a carefully optimised angle, which provides adequate power under all orbital conditions and still fits within the launch vehicle.

Manufacturer: EADS Astrium

sapxre_astrium_4c.bmp

Launcher: Dnepr

ph_dnepr_1_en.gif

Parameter|Value
Weight at liftoff|211 tons
Propellant|amyl + heptyl
Number of stages|3
LV diameter|3 meters
LV length|34 meters
Injection accuracy:|
o For orbit altitude|+/- 4,0 km
o For orbit inclination|+/- 0.04 degrees
o For right ascension of the ascending node|+/- 0.05 degrees
Orbit inclinations|64.5; 98.0 degrees
Flight reliability|0.97
Operational environments:|
o Longitudinal g-load|up to 7.5
o Lateral g-load|up to 0.8
Integral level of sound pressure|up to 140 dB
Launch type|steam ejection from Transport and Launch Canister (TLC)

A typical mission Profile

Described here: http://www.kosmotras.ru/en/shema_polet/

Manufacturer: Yuzhnoe Design Bureau in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

firma1.gif

The vehicle's reliability statistics according to http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/reliability2010.txt:

Launch Timeline

http://s002.radikal.ru/i199/1004/b7/24f60d1634d7.jpg[/B]

[code]
================================================================
Vehicle Successes/Tries Realzd Pred Consc. Last Dates
Rate Rate* Succes Fail
================================================================
Dnepr 12 13 .92 .87 6 7/26/06 1999-
[/code]

[B]Weather forecast for Baikonur, Kazakhstan on April 8, 2010[/B]

[IMG]http://deskwx.weatherbug.com/images/Forecast/icons/cond003.gif
Hi: 12°C
Lo: 2°C
There is a 0% chance of precipitation. Partly cloudy. Mild. Temperature of 12°C. Winds E 21km. Humidity will be 51% with a dewpoint of 2° and feels-like temperature of 12°C.

Sunrise/Sunset and associated twilight times for Baikonur on Saturday, April 8, 2010

Times are local.
Event|Time
Astronomical twilight begins|05 : 26
Nautical twilight begins|06 : 05
Civil twilight begins|07 : 42
Sunrise|07 : 11
Transit (sun is at its highest)|13 : 25
Sunset|20 : 25
Civil twilight ends|20 : 54
Nautical twilight ends|21 : 31
Astronomical twilight ends|22 : 10
Watching the launch live

Watch for updates in CryoSat II Launch Blog:

http://cslariviere.blogspot.com/

I won't be watching over this launch, because I'm embarking on a trip. Have a good watching, folks!

Notebook: would you make the topic name more generic?

Keatah

Reaction score
something spooky

Slightly OT: My girlfriend thinks there is something spooky and strange about cold satellites; like there might be some funky artificial life-form growing the cryotanks. Something like an HE3 mass or something! Ohh my oh my!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Slightly OT: My girlfriend thinks there is something spooky and strange about cold satellites; like there might be some funky artificial life-form growing the cryotanks. Something like an HE3 mass or something! Ohh my oh my!
Hee hee...
Yes, the prefix cryo- always seems to creep people out.
Although...I'm sure we could modify some form of archaea to live in cryo tanks...:hmm:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

You mean the frozen heads of deceased people who want to be revived someday in the distant future? Yeah, that would be a spooky thing to put in orbit.

Hopefully this one will be successful. Some programs never get a second chance, hope they make the best of this.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there is no cryogenic instruments on this satellite. There is some nitrogen propellant on board but it is only stored in gaseous form at 28 MPa. The "cryo" in the satellite's name refers to the cryosphere that it will be observing.

Keatah

Reaction score
yeh it is probably the cryo prefix or something. Neptune must be onehelluva fluidic ocean. Spooky indeed!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
CryoSat, ESA's ice mission, is scheduled for launch today at 15:57 CEST (13:57 UT). Live web streaming starts at 15:35 CEST (13:35 UT).
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cryosat/SEMILVZNK7G_0.html

N.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Colour-bars(red-field, how novel!) and lounge launch music now steaming.

N.

Last edited: