MapMFD Custom Maps?

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
To use colorful bitmaps, created for example from level 4 or 5 surface textures, as the maps used by this MFD for planets and moons, as it was asked by the poster, instead of vector maps, that are for now available only for Venus, Earth, Moon and Mars, and use only 2 colors for indicating contours and coasts.

Exactly. The mars map is absolutely useless. The only location I can find on the default mars map is olympus base, and that's only because it has a special marker for it. The moon map is likewise useless.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is there a way to get the bitmap images with the added functionality of the upgraded Map MFD in Orbiter 2010?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are tools to generate contour vectors from images. I used Matlab to generate contour plots from planet surface bitmaps, and exported the vector lists. There are probably free alternatives.

Octave is a free alternative to Matlab.

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
i tried putting

MFDMapVersion = 0
MFDMapVersion
MapMFDVersion = 0
MapMFDVersion

one at a time in the orbiter config doc and nothing worked:( please help me would do anything to get the old colour maps back...

Last edited:

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I hope I am writing in the right thread it seemed relevant to me and on topic. Has anybody found a way to make these new maps yet? I have matlab and I have no idea what I am doing. Is there some kind of M script dr martin uses to make these maps? I didnt see anything in the sdk. I have googled for hours trying to find a alternative that will save or export the *.vec format but I am not having any luck. I have used adobe illustrator *.svg format and loaded it in blender. That was kind of interesting. But I am making a planet and would like very much some more info on how to make a vector map and get it in MapMFD preferably without having to be a mathematician to do it. Math is not a strong subject for me.