OHM CVEL Titans v1.36

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting some of the heavier Titan payloads to orbit. It's not because the energy isn't there, it seems to be because it re-enters too quickly. I think it might be more efficient if the autopilot sets the pitch to say 20 degrees instead of setting it 0 and then pitching WAY up as you start to reenter.

Anyway, I want to take manual control. Could anyone please tell me, after shutting down the autopilot, how to control the Titans? Is there a way to do the thrust vectoring manually?

Otherwise, this CVEL Titan concept is very cool. :cool:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Possible Bug: When I launch the IUS/Carina mission, when IUS separation occurs, the IUS dissapears:blink:. The Glass Cockpit is there, but there is no external view of either the IUS or the Carina, and no fuel either. Nothing shows up in Orbiter.log, and the IUS and Carina are visible once the fairing separates.
Any idea what's wrong?

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
MaverickSawyer: you don't have Alex's IUS. Which is hardly surprising, as I don't think it works under Orbiter 2010 anyway. Yes, that's a prime candidate for the scenario to be rewritten to use the Velcro IUS instead.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
MaverickSawyer: you don't have Alex's IUS. Which is hardly surprising, as I don't think it works under Orbiter 2010 anyway. Yes, that's a prime candidate for the scenario to be rewritten to use the Velcro IUS instead.

Here you go with the Centaur G as well:

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
These are the "missing" Titan IV stages from CVEL Titans 1.35/1.36. Here, they come from Velcro Rockets (required), so this works in Orbiter 2010P1.

The Centaur G is a bit more appropriate as an upper stage for the Titan IV than the Centaur D, which was only used in the Titan IIIE. WARNING: The 
Centaur G is VERY heavy. The Titan second stage and Centaur itself have very poor accelerations. As a result, the autopilot will not be able to reach 
orbital velocity before the stack re-enters, even though there is PLENTY of energy...eventually. You can use the autopilot until the solid boosters burn
out, and it pitches the first stage down to horizontal. Shut off the autopilot and pitch "up" (i.e. away from the earth) to about 30 degrees. 
Hold this attitude until the stage burns out. The apogee will be high but you need the extra time. You can turn autopilot back on for the second stage. 
Centaur doesn't start itself; you'll have to take control of it on your own when the time comes.

The IUS is a stage of two stages and was also used with the Titan. Stage 1 will get a 2000+ kg payload from LEO to GTO. Stage 2 will be for apogee kick
with extra energy left over for a simultaneous plane change. Or, both can fire in succession in LEO to get to near escape velocity. Be careful, as these 
are solid stages, once they ignite, they burn until the fuel is exhausted!             
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 51982.6167479746
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship 1-TitanIVA
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET 1-TitanIVA
  MODE Extern
  POS 2.89 -0.51 -82.42
  TRACKMODE TargetRelative
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Surface
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Orbit
  PROJ Ship
  REF Earth
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
1-TitanIVB_CentaurG:CVELTitanIVB
  STATUS Landed Earth
  BASE Cape Canaveral:3
  HEADING 0.00
  TGT_HEADING 90.0
  FUEL 1.000
  CONFIGURATION 0
  SECOND STAGE 1
  UPPER STAGE 0
  AUTO LEO 1
  SHIFTFOCUS 1
  PADBIAS 0.0
  FAIRING 612
  ;FAIRING 0
  FAIRLOC -1.0
  PAYLOAD Skirt TenFtInterstage TenFtInterstage 0 0 -3.8 626 0 1
  STAGE CentaurG Velcro/CentaurG Velcro/CentaurG 0 0 5.375 23880 0 1 
	 PAYLOAD probe1 probe probe 0 0 5.7 3300 0 1
  ENDSTAGE
END
2-TitanIV_IUS:CVELTitanIV
  STATUS Landed Earth
  BASE Cape Canaveral:4
  HEADING 0.00
  TGT_HEADING 90.0
  FUEL 1.000
  CONFIGURATION 0
  SECOND STAGE 1
  UPPER STAGE 0
  AUTO LEO 1
  SHIFTFOCUS 1
  PADBIAS 0.0
  FAIRING 611
  ;FAIRING 0
  FAIRLOC -1.0
  PAYLOAD Interstage2 TenFtInterstage TenFtInterstage 0 0 -3.8 626 0 1
  STAGE IUS-1 Velcro/IUS_Stg1 Velcro/IUS_Stg1  0 0 -2.65 10841 0 1
      STAGE IUS-2 Velcro/IUS_Stg2 Velcro/IUS_Stg2 0 0 -0.812 3919 0 1    
  		PAYLOAD probe3 probe probe 0 0 1.05 2200 0 1
	ENDSTAGE
  ENDSTAGE
END
END_SHIPS

I'm just not sure about the weight of the second interstage.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
It would be an honor. :cheers:

Also working on Titan II with Velcro STAR 37, and and updated config for the DMSP.

(Now you know why I was concerned about manual control.)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

:beathead:

EDIT:
Just finished rewriting scenario using the Velcro IUS. aside from placement of the stages and payloads, everything worked as planned.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Why don't you use the placement I just provided?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Does this only happen to me? If the rocket has boosters, at some point during the ascent, the rocket will suddenly and drastically yaw.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Nope, not just you. It's at booster sep, IIRC. It's a really weird bug, But I live with it by slowing down time and using kill rotation.

greyrogue715

Reaction score
I am looking for the Vanguard texture and SSMEC if someone could point me in the right direction. They seem to missing from my Orbiter 2010 Titan-Vanguard scenario. I have searched and nothing showed up. The other rockets are showing up.

Thanks,
Andrew

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
RE: CVEL Titans 1.3 not working in Orb2010 P1

RE: CVEL Titans 1.36 not working in Orb2010 P1

Hi

I noticed that someone reported CVEL Titans v1.36 not working for Orbiter 2010. I just wanted to report that it works for me. Out of the box extraction for the patched Orbiter 2010 P1, I then just extracted the CVEL Titans from the download found here:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1031"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1031[/ame]

Just to offer that for the gentleman who reported having trouble.
God's Speed...

PenguinMan94

Reaction score
I was flying it for the first time and guess what came out :hailprobe:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yup, the Almighty :probe: is the standard payload for most Velcro launch scenarios.