Software D3D9 client = strange fonts afterwards

BobB

Reaction score
(Sorry about the title.)

I recently installed Orbiter 2016 on my Win7, core i5 machine with ASUS MB and built-in Intel video graphics adapter. No issues, with one minor annoyance. I noticed that after running Orbiter using the D3D9 client, the system fonts are slightly "distorted". I put those quotes in because the fonts are readable, but not really crisp. It looks like what happens when one applies a graphics erosion algorithm to an object, if that makes sense. This happens all the time after Orbiter, so I am certain of the problem, but not the solution. My current remedy is to reboot, which clears the problem and restores the fonts to system normal.

Two questions. First, has anyone else seen this? And, second: Is there a simple cure, beyond rebooting?

Thank you so much for your time and trouble.

Bob

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
You need to re-enable Cleartype.

I'm on Windows10 so I can't check it, but try something like:

Right click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose [Properties]
Click on the Appearance Tab; Click Effects
Check the box: Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts
In the drop down box select: Clear Type

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
On the launchpad, under the "extra" tab, expand "Debugging options", click "Performance options" and hit edit. Check "Enforce font smoothing on exit" and that should fix it.
Or type "cleartype" into the start menu's search box, click "Adjust ClearType Text", check the "Turn on ClearType" checkbox, then just hit next through all the remaining pages of the dialog.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
On the launchpad, under the "extra" tab, expand "Debugging options", click "Performance options" and hit edit. Check "Enforce font smoothing on exit" and that should fix it.
Or type "cleartype" into the start menu's search box, click "Adjust ClearType Text", check the "Turn on ClearType" checkbox, then just hit next through all the remaining pages of the dialog.
Don't forget to uncheck "Disable font smoothing while Orbiter is running" as well as this is the option that actually deactivates font smoothing ("ClearType") while Orbiter is running.

BobB

Reaction score
Thanks! Checking "Enforce font smoothing on exit" works.