Problem D3D9 not working on my Orbiter 2016

rockettony101

Reaction score
When you "installed" the DirectX 9 Runtime files, did you run the DXSetup.exe file or did you just run the DirectX_Jun2010_redist.exe file and let it extract the files? You need to run the DXSetup.exe file as it is the actual installer and the file you downloaded was just the compressed archive file.
I did everything you said and still nothing.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Now "Dependencies" (see @GLS post) would be the next thing to try.

Oh maybe it's just this: Did you "install" Orbiter under C:\Programm Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ ? This could make Windows UAC kick in.
You could check if that's it by installing Orbiter in a completely different folder (e.g. "C:\orbiter\"). In that case UAC will not be an issue.

Last edited:

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yup, I have mine at C:\Orbiter, just seems to be better there, not so well at either Program Files folder.

rockettony101

Reaction score
Run it and open the <orbiter instalation folder>\Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll file. There should be a list of DLLs it depends on, and some of them might be missing, which would help track down the problem.
Ok, but that still does not tell me on how to run it or how to use it.

rockettony101

Reaction score
Now "Dependencies" (see @GLS post) would be the next thing to try.

Oh maybe it's just this: Did you "install" Orbiter under C:\Programm Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ ? This could make Windows UAC kick in.
You could check if that's it by installing Orbiter in a completely different folder (e.g. "C:\orbiter\"). In that case UAC will not be an issue.
I've installed it in my c: drive but I have not tried x86 yet.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, but that still does not tell me on how to run it or how to use it.
Extract the ZIP in a folder wherever you want (e.g. Desktop\dependencies ).
In there you'll find DependenciesGui.exe, run that.
Now just go to "File"->"Open" and browse to the D3D9Client.dll (like for example "C:\Orbiter\2016\Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll" or wherever it is located on your insatllation).
Then the GUI should probably tell you if anything is missing. ...maybe you post a screenshot then.

rockettony101

Reaction score
Extract the ZIP in a folder wherever you want (e.g. Desktop\dependencies ).
In there you'll find DependenciesGui.exe, run that.
Now just go to "File"->"Open" and browse to the D3D9Client.dll (like for example "C:\Orbiter\2016\Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll" or wherever it is located on your insatllation).
Then the GUI should probably tell you if anything is missing. ...maybe you post a screenshot then.
There is no DependenciesGui.exe in the extracted file.

rockettony101

Reaction score
Can I ask you if you downloaded Orbiter2016.zip or Orbiter2016.msi?
I've tried both, This is not my first time doing this and I have not have any issues doing it on other computers what so ever.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Is this Win11? Don’t much about, but maybe relevant. Maybe even D3D9 is too archaic?

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
OK, then the question becomes does anyone else run Orbiter in Win11? That would then confirm or deny the OS as the culprit.

Perhaps Microsoft felt that D9 was too old to support.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
OK, then the question becomes does anyone else run Orbiter in Win11? That would then confirm or deny the OS as the culprit.

Perhaps Microsoft felt that D9 was too old to support.

Orbiter 2016 is working fine for me in Windows 11. I would double-check that the DirectX 9 runtimes are installed, as detailed on the D3D9 client download page:

----

DirectX Runtimes​

You will need a DirectX June 2010 redistributable backage to run the client. If the redistributable package isn't installed in your computer you will receive an error message "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer". Or you may see a pop-up window in Orbiter LaunchPad telling about a missing runtimes. If that happens then download the package from a link below and extract the content of the package in any empty directory you want and then find a Setup.exe and run it. It is a common mistake to forget the run the Setup.exe You can delete the contents of the directory after the setup is completed. The directory is just a temporary storage for the installation files.

Here is a link: June 2010 Redistributables

----

rockettony101

Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 is working fine for me in Windows 11. I would double-check that the DirectX 9 runtimes are installed, as detailed on the D3D9 client download page:

----

DirectX Runtimes​

You will need a DirectX June 2010 redistributable backage to run the client. If the redistributable package isn't installed in your computer you will receive an error message "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer". Or you may see a pop-up window in Orbiter LaunchPad telling about a missing runtimes. If that happens then download the package from a link below and extract the content of the package in any empty directory you want and then find a Setup.exe and run it. It is a common mistake to forget the run the Setup.exe You can delete the contents of the directory after the setup is completed. The directory is just a temporary storage for the installation files.

Here is a link: June 2010 Redistributables

----
Everything is installed that needs to be installed (which includes: DirectX 9 runtimes, D3D9, And orbiter) This is not even my fifth time doing this. It is my first time installing Orbiter and the D3D9 on my new pc.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just another shot in the dark: Can you possibly update your graphic card driver(s)? Maybe you have 2 (one integrated and one "3D") and Orbiter tries to run "the wrong" one?