DARPA's Humanoid Robot Challenge.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes! totally.

I might have just been confusing it with the idea of a murdering robot, like the terminator, but people have the same fear of something like a flying drone becoming malicious. I guess people just dont want to be killed by autonomous machines, they'd rather be killed by fellow humans

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

its interesting to me how subtly complex human communication is, down to something as simple as nodding.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess people just dont want to be killed by autonomous machines, they'd rather be killed by fellow humans

No, it's because you can surrender to and try to reason with another human. A Predator drone in the sky cannot be reasoned with; there is no way to talk it out of killing you. Autonomous weapons have no remorse or empathy. It's not about what or who kills you, it's about having a chance to avoid getting killed in the first place. Most people assume that robots are less likely to show mercy.

Also it needs to be pointed out that most of the funding for these creepy robots is coming from the military, and the results are predictable: robots that make it easier to kill people. Predator drones started out as recon platforms, now they are tools for assassination which make it very easy to kill people without the consequences of risking a pilot. Likewise, these "mule" and "rescue" robots, once they achieve a level of maturity in design, will quickly be adapted to carry weapons, and because they don't carry the political risk of sending real soldiers into harm's way, will make killing more commonplace.

Basically, Terminators. But these will not be rogue machines like the movie versions; they will be directed by humans to kill other humans.

A tad creepy.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/201...medium=RelatedLinks&utm_campaign=MoreRecently
(related link from above)
And the firefighting robot's face...OH GOD WHY.

There seems to be an attempt to make machines less creepy by giving them cutesy faces. That attempt appears to have suffered an epic fail in this case.

Melvin

Reaction score
A Predator drone in the sky cannot be reasoned with;

Humans are still in control of the drones.

Sometimes humans can't be reasoned with.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the fear of something like a terminator is a primitive, rather than a futuristic one. The idea of an unstoppable, unreasoning, unrelenting hunter dead-set on killing you is a pretty terrifying idea, and it doesn't really matter whether that entity is animal, human or machine. Since our ancestors regularly shared environments with predatory megafauna, it makes sense that this notion is fairly deep-seated in our psyche.

The terminators were never rogue machines, they were executing their orders from skynet just as a preprogrammed UCAV exdcutes commands from its human operators, or an ICBM is fulfills its guidance programming to drop MIRVs over a certain city (of course, Skynet itself was a rogue AI with the intention of killing all humans).

We've had things like ballistic missiles for over half a century, so the idea of a machine pre-programmed to destroy a target is nothing new. The idea of a robot being sent out with the ability to choose its own targets and decide whether to engage them is another matter. Melvin has a good point though; while it may be impossible to reason with a machine, in many situations one cannot reason with human attackers either (this does not make the Terminator particularly exceptional; if I understand correctly, it is essentially based on a pre-existing trope involving psycotic assailants and suchlike)

The uncanny-valley, 'human-imitating' robots really creep me out, primarily because they elicit all the negative responses an uncanny-valley inabitant should, but also because teams of people have worked really hard on something that has, to be entirely truthful, turned out rather poorly. And they also disturb me, of course, because nothing, not even a pile of metal and plastic, deserves to be that ugly... :uhh:

Yet you look at something like C-3PO, or R2-D2, a gold mannequin and a mobile dustbin, respectively, and they're not only relatable, but they're much-loved characters. Even a MER robot has little 'eyes' up on its camera mast and it's possible to sympathise with the perils of its far-away adventures despite the fact that it's essentially a box on wheels.

My advice to robotics engineers is to waste less time on trying to make their creations 'cutesy'.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I agree, but I'm willing to bet that C3PO could be made creepy with a good script and camera work. He's modeled after the female robot from Metropolis, and she was plenty creepy, after all.

4889200175_9151d3f5ee.jpg

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I agree, but I'm willing to bet that C3PO could be made creepy with a good script and camera work. He's modeled after the female robot from Metropolis, and she was plenty creepy, after all.

4889200175_9151d3f5ee.jpg

Oi! Watch it, pal. :lol:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Just saw this:

Video: Navy’s Humanoid Robot Dances Gangnam Style.
BY SPENCER ACKERMAN 10.19.12 6:19 PM
"Meet CHARLI-2, Virginia Tech’s skinny, five-foot tall humanoid robot. His balance is enviable: Jostle him, and he’ll right himself — which is one of the reasons the Navy is using him for research on its firefighting robot of the future. Oh, and as the video above shows, he also dances Gangnam Style."
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/navy-robot-gangnam-style/

Bob Clark

Saw this on another forum:

Bob Clark

Last edited:

SpaceNut

Reaction score
From what I see, DARPA is about 25 years behind Honda and it's long running Asimo project. Asimo climbs stairs, walks, runs, turns (while walking/running), avoids others, recognizes people, can be directed by holding hands with a person all untethered and fully autonomous. We seem to be doing what Honda was doing in the earliest years of the Asimo project.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I think that androids such as the japanese one linked by Andy will serve as waitress in restaurants, at the latest 4 to 5 decades from now. although saying 2 decades from now might be more accurate.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website

Bob Clark

---------- Post added 12-21-13 at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-20-13 at 11:19 AM ----------

Results of day one of the robotic competition, show we still have a ways to go before we have autonomous robots that can perform these tasks. Still here's the live broadcast of day two of the competition:

Bob Clark

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
Some of the robots actually did better than I expected. The competition was won by the Japanese SCHAFT robot. This video shows the robot undergoing preliminary trials:

SCHAFT : DARPA Robotics Challenge 8 Tasks + Special Walking.

The video though is highly sped up. While the SCHAFT robot during the actual competition was able to complete the tasks it was at a much slower speed:

[DARPA Robotics Challenge]SCHAFT S-ONE "Ladder" Trial.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZj8A-JX4m8"][DARPA Robotics Challenge]SCHAFT S-ONE "Ladder" Trial - YouTube[/ame]

Still, my expectation is within a couple of years the tasks will be completable at more human like speeds by such capable robots as SCHAFT.

Bob Clark