Dawn Mission Help Please?

Kemo

Reaction score
Okay. I'm using a the Delta Mission Mod and now I have no clue on how to reach Vesta. The Instructions seems quite vague and it appears alot more difficult then the phoenix mission.

Any helpful walk-through or tips that can help me out? Thanks.

NOMAD

Reaction score
I also have problem in Dawn Mission.When I fly to Mars,I always veer off course.It makes me confused.How can I do?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there :)
Sorry Kemo! - must've missed this thread first time round.

Don't know if I can be much help though. It's certainly not an easy mission to complete.

You have to deal with the low-thrust ion-drive and associated trajectory planning problems and a Mars flyby with no real target to aim for.

On the other hand, you have a lot of dV capability to play with.

There's not much I can add to the dawn_flightnotes.txt included with the add-on.

Make the escape burn from Earth as described in the notes, then you need to use IMFD "Delta Velocity" together with IMFD "Map" (Plan View) to plan your ion-drive burn to intercept Mars. You can use IMFD"Target Intercept" when you are closer to Mars. Make the Mars flyby as described in the notes, then back to IMFD "Delta Velocity" / "Map(Plan View)" to plan the burn to Vesta.

You really need a good understanding of IMFD to do this mission.

I think Piper's new "Low Thrust Trajectory Planner" will be ideal for this mission, but I haven't tried it yet (looks like I'll be spending most of this weekend putting in a bathroom floor!!) - see here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15036

Good luck,
Brian