DC Sniper put to death

Moonwalker

Reaction score
The eminent 20th-century Russian-American philosopher Ayn Rand proved clearly and conclusively that it is.

Moral truth is no different from mathematical truth; just as any mathematical state is either objectively true or objectively false, so is any moral statement.

That moral holds universal correctness might be philosophical black and white thinking of Ayn Rand, which is quite controversial within the philosophical community rather than quite an objective and a widely accepted "proof". Moral varies for individuals and cultures. Moral is not universally valid.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Moral truth is no different from mathematical truth; just as any mathematical state is either objectively true or objectively false, so is any moral statement.
Mathematics are built on top of axioms - a set of artificially defined statements, as do any logical system.
These statements can be easily changed, and we will just have a different theory that will fit to different environment.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is no written law that a male lion has to kill the children of another male lion.

No, but there should be a law that male lions can kill other people's children when they make too much noise or text each other in the movie theatre.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, but there should be a law that male lions can kill other people's children when they make too much noise or text each other in the movie theatre.

:rofl:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I do however believe in life imprisonment, with hard labour. Nothing cruel or unusual though. Anyone who claims prison life is "comfortable" or "nice" clearly hasn't been there themselves. It is a horrible place, that I never intend to set foot in.
Again, this depends on the country.

In America, if a prison is a "horrible" place, the guards and prison managers get sued, fired, and replaced.

And I've never claimed that it's the best deal around. I certainly would not prefer prison to my current life. For a lot of people, though, prison is a much nicer alternative than living on the street.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
In America, if a prison is a "horrible" place, the guards and prison managers get sued, fired, and replaced.

Uh, very rarely, if ever. I once knew a prison guard, he worked in Delaware. He told stories that made me sure to never go to prison, ever. Inmates raping each other, stabbing each other, and once when a guard was stabbed they systematically beat every inmate that was even remotely associated with the attacker. Those guards had no real fear of being sued or fired.

An anecdote, maybe, but I've never heard any different reports from anywhere. At least Martha Steward didn't come out with gang tats all over her.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There is indeed one objectively and universally correct moral code that all are obligated to endorse.

That is like saying there is only one universally correct way to eat a banana. It isn't true, even if you consider Kants universal imperfect objective, there is still a lot of room for negotiations.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Well that's about as narcissistic and wrong as you can get. What, pre tell, is this universal code of morality? As we've seen in this thread there is a different view on what constitutes morality because it is largely subjective.

+1. It's irresponsible to believe that anything subjective has a binary answer.

Last edited:

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
Ayn Rand was wrong about everything.
Incorrect.

Objectivism is bogus.
Incorrect.

Her argument was ultimately circular.
Incorrect.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Well that's about as narcissistic and wrong as you can get.
No, it's not.

What, pre tell, is this universal code of morality?
More than I care to type out here.

As we've seen in this thread there is a different view on what constitutes morality because it is largely subjective.
No; what we've seen in this thread is that there is a different view on what constitues morality because some people are objectively wrong.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh man, this is turning into a discussion about Objectivism? Tasty! But I think I'll sit back and watch you guys eat. I devoured the subject a few years back and my belly's full.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Ugh, I won't go into Rand's political philosophy (which is flawed) because that will turn into a diatribe against libertarianism (which too is flawed). So let's deal with objectivism separate from what Rand saw as the political implications.

Rand's arguement that the law of identity implies determinism contradicts her view that human beings have free will. Also, Rand's view that morality is guided by self-interest completely negates the fact that most people construct their views of morality based on helping other people.

Then there is this, which you ought to read:
http://mises.org/journals/jls/7_1/7_1_4.pdf

That's written by someone sympathetic to the libertarian political philosophy and still realizes why Rand is bogus.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
The problem with even bothering to argue the issue is that people try to present thier opinion as fact. The sooner people get over that bad habit, the better.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is a fact that I have the opinion now, that I need a Scotch to solve this argumentation. Garçon!

Art

Reaction score
So, really...I know you guys have some pretty extreme left and right whackos yourself, but do you Euros really have any freakshows like Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly ? I know you have Ann Rands, cause...well she was Eastern European (Russian). Remember now, this is a cross-pond competition between us. This is a "My dad can beat up your dad". Betcha don't even have anything CLOSE! Gotta have similar numbers of people listening and mindlessly nodding their heads at the same time.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We have only the Diekmann.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Diekmann

Or Franz Josef Wagner...who is some kind of the miniature version of the US conservatives.

Or politicians like H.P. Uhl

Or newspapers like TAZ, which are leaning so far left, that they fall into the scene from the right. ;)

But Limbaugh is a stupid beginner compared to Don Silvio (Berlusconi)

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Calsir

Reaction score
But Limbaugh is a stupid beginner compared to Don Silvio (Berlusconi)

Silvio Berlusconi is loved by the majority of the glorious Italian people. Anyone who says otherwise is most certainly a communist and a hater of Italy, someone who wants to disrupt freedom and all that is sacred to us. Or so we are told by his private tv's and RAI (the state broadcasting corp).

Last edited: